best place to buy RAM in UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dobbin, Oct 27, 2004.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Does anyone know where's the best (cheapest) place in the UK to buy a 512 RAM stick for an iBook?

I like the Crucial site as it is so easy to find the right product, but is anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks for any advice.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have always found crucial to be the best place for well priced, good quality, reliable memory in the UK + life time guarantee! Just stick with them IMO.

3. founderfilm macrumors newbie

The crucial website is a good place, but I got mine from ebuyer.co.uk, fast delivery and good price!

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I vote for Crucial, Apple notebooks are very fussy about the RAM that they will work with, I tried two types of RAM from a local supplier, before I gave up and purchased from Crucial, which worked first time.

5. oldpismo macrumors member

Is the crucial ram the same as the apple ram? i.e. in a G5 will it give 128 bit, or only 64?

6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Always used Crucial m8.
    Quality, service and price are their strong points in that order.

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Why are Apple computers so fussy about RAM?

8. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Cheers all, I'll stick to Crucial - 512 ordered.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

crucial have silly prices for the 1gb so-dimm needed for the powerbook 12 1.33ghz tho.

http://www.offtek.co.uk seem to be good value

ie. 203ukp versus 313 for crucial

not ordered the stick yet. so we'll see when i do.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I really don't know the answer to that one, all I know is that they are, from personal experience as I looked at the RAM specification on the documentation and that is what I ordered and it didn't work. Many other people have had problems using RAM not certified to work on a Mac. I can only presume that it is because Apple have complete design control over key components such as the motherboard, unlike PC manufacturers who tend to use generic motherboard designs, in desktops in any case.

I am not saying if you buy uncertified RAM it will not work, as many people have been successful, only that it appears more risky than PC computers.