Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
England
Does anyone know where's the best (cheapest) place in the UK to buy a 512 RAM stick for an iBook?

I like the Crucial site as it is so easy to find the right product, but is anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks for any advice.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I have always found crucial to be the best place for well priced, good quality, reliable memory in the UK + life time guarantee! Just stick with them IMO.

founderfilm

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
The crucial website is a good place, but I got mine from ebuyer.co.uk, fast delivery and good price!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I vote for Crucial, Apple notebooks are very fussy about the RAM that they will work with, I tried two types of RAM from a local supplier, before I gave up and purchased from Crucial, which worked first time.

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
Is the crucial ram the same as the apple ram? i.e. in a G5 will it give 128 bit, or only 64?

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
James Craner said:
I vote for Crucial, Apple notebooks are very fussy about the RAM that they will work with, I tried two types of RAM from a local supplier, before I gave up and purchased from Crucial, which worked first time.

Why are Apple computers so fussy about RAM?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
MacSA said:
Why are Apple computers so fussy about RAM?

I really don't know the answer to that one, all I know is that they are, from personal experience as I looked at the RAM specification on the documentation and that is what I ordered and it didn't work. Many other people have had problems using RAM not certified to work on a Mac. I can only presume that it is because Apple have complete design control over key components such as the motherboard, unlike PC manufacturers who tend to use generic motherboard designs, in desktops in any case.

I am not saying if you buy uncertified RAM it will not work, as many people have been successful, only that it appears more risky than PC computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.