Best place to "get away from it all" around the Bay Area (CA)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Feb 24, 2008.

1. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just wondering if any of you know of a good place to go to "get from it all" in the Bay Area? Like, nature and stuff, know what I'm saying? Mountains maybe? A lot of trees? Lakes? Clear views of the sky/stars? Awesome sunset views? Yeah, that's it.

Is Yosemite the only choice? Anything a bit closer where one can stay until late-ish at night, then leave and head home?

2. macrumors Core

iBlue

What about slightly further, going north east and heading to Lake Tahoe? It's gorgeous!

3. bov
    macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502a

Maui

5. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not precisely what you're asking for, but you might try taking off a weekday outside prime tourist season and heading to Muir Woods early in the morning. Really early. It's incredibly tranquil, and in the morning the wildlife is usually still around. If hiking is your thing, there are some pretty extensive trails.

6. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm, Santa Cruz? :) You can pick-- woodsy mountains or beach. Walk around in the woods during the daytime, and at night, go and try to have a bonfire at the beach (some rangers aren't cool w/ it, some are).

Sorry, I don't know of specific places to recommend, though.

7. macrumors 6502

I just moved to Santa Rosa (well really anywhere California) permanently but someplace I really liked going to to get away, since I'm from Dayton, Ohio, was Bodega Bay, about an hour west of Santa Rosa.

Get to see some large hills, great sunset over the oceans, beautiful mist just as the sun sets, and GREAT place to see the stars - all over the ocean!

Here's a photo I took back in 2006, just before I had to go back to Dayton:

[​IMG]

Just a thought. I love it there.

~Crawn