Best place to purchase RAM for PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 0s and 1s, Mar 24, 2004.

1. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    I'm trying to find out which place has the best 512mb RAM price for my 15" PB (1GHZ model). Quick question: The 256mb on the PB isn't soldered on, is it? If not, there won't be a problem pairing it up with different size RAM, correct? If so, I'll have to save up for two pieces of 512mb RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
  2. papersushi macrumors regular

Nov 14, 2003
    RAM is 15'' PB doesn't have to to be paired up like the G5, pretty mucj you can use any comination of 256MB, 512MB, 1GB chips. There are sure a lot of places offer "compatible" RAMS out there, but for PowerBook, considering gettings RAM directly from either Kingston or Crucial.

You cann't go wrong with eithe one of them. Don't be cheap, buying cheap rams from some small unknown companies is like buying troubles. Your machine may start, but may crash constantly when you use intense applications like iMovies, iDVD, FCCP, PhotoShop etc.
  3. Sushij macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2004
    Iowa City

Hey, I have a 15" ALPB and just got 512 RAM. I used to look at prices. Check it out if you want.

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    #4 is also useful
    I would suggest however that the extra cost is worth it for RAM o buy name brand. You don't want questionable ram in your computer even if it saves you a few bucks
  5. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
  6. iShater macrumors 604

Aug 13, 2002
    I second the Crucial recommendation. Excellent customer service, decent price, and good quality.
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I "third" it. Good source. Also, I was very happy with Kingston when I upped my G5's RAM. I don't know about their PB sticks, though.
  8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Think of it this way. Both Crucial and generic RAM company offer life time warranty on their memory. The generic brand RAM is even $5 cheaper to attract more sales. But when the RAM fails, are you 100% sure the company that sold you the generic brand company will honor the warranty (if it's still open)? Is there even a number for you to call to claim the warranty? For $5 more, Crucial will give you 100% compatible Mac memory, you're dealing w/ the original supplier of the memory, and has one of the best no hastle RMA programs among companies, better than Apple's overpriced extended care program, at no extra charge of course.

Funny how some people will buy an overpriced Mac system, yet cheap out and buy generic RAM... oh well, not my money, do as you please.
  9. Opteron macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
    The best place to answer this question is to look in this sites "search"
    The question has been asked very often.

10. alphaq619 macrumors member

Mar 10, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'm looking to increase my RAM too on my 12" PB. I've been watching the prices on crucial and they have been fluctuating greatly. A couple weeks ago, a 512 stick was $91. Earlier today, it went all the way up to $119. Just checked right now, $121! Is there a direct correlation between the price of gas and the price of RAM, or what?
  11. 0s and 1s thread starter macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
    Is this a good deal? ebay 512mb

If not, I plan on going to Mac Solutions tomorrow since I'm 30min. away from the store. They're selling the sticks for $100. I read on that I needed two sticks of the same MB size, then I read on another that I didn't need to do that. I hope it works.

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it. This site has made my switch to Mac painless and fun. Thanks!