Best places to sell a used Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thirdkind, Jan 1, 2006.

1. thirdkind macrumors member

The forum marketplace is the obvious answer, but I'm probably a month or two away from having enough posts.

Tried ebay, but people there don't seem to see any value in legal software and original installation discs (I have several expensive software suites that didn't seem to affect the final selling price at all, so I didn't get my reserve price).

Any other good places?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

3. thirdkind thread starter macrumors member

Did that. No luck so far.

Maybe I'm asking too much.

4. stutz macrumors member

I can honestly say I was impressed with the recent sale of my old PowerBook on eBay (about a 4 year old machine) for $810 (G4 667). I was a bit surprised how much I got, but it wasn't unusual. You're right about software though. People don't value software nearly as much, probably due to the massive amount of pirated stuff. It can sweeten the pot a bit to sell your Mac hardware, but don't expect to get a great return on the software alone.

5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Have you considered selling the software and hardware separately?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The obvious answer is, don't sell the software with it. You're right, it isn't valued in a hardware auction where every 2nd other seller is offering pirated Creative Suite, Office and Final Cut.

But if you advertise your sofware in the software section, presuming you are offering serial, CDs and transfer of license (that is, you have not upgraded the software and are not keeping it or any other version of it for yourself, and therefore the new owner can register and upgrade it) You stand a chance of making some money on it.

7. thirdkind thread starter macrumors member

I did consider that. I'm worried I might get stuck with a bunch of Mac software I can't use. I'll probably give it a shot though.

8. thirdkind thread starter macrumors member

They're full retail copies, already registered, but I'll be transferring the licenses.

9. SteveS macrumors newbie

SteveS

What are you selling? Hardware and software wise?

10. thirdkind thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it would be cool for me to bypass the marketplace restrictions by posting that info here.

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

there is a marketplace forum over at macnn.com, WITHOUT any stupid restrictions.....

I have bought & sold lotsa stuff there, no problems at all :)