1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Best portable DAC for Mac (up to $500)???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by 50548, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Guest

Simple question, simple answers - thanks for your help.

P.s.: I am leaning toward the Nuforce HDP, but would be glad to know if something of the same quality can be found for less.

2. macrumors regular

DAC section only, so no amp?

3. macrumors 6502

if you're only after D to A, check out the mytek stereo96 DAC. Fantastic gear, probably meets your price-point used.

4. Guest

To be honest, I am just beginning with my sort of hi-fi needs; but I presume an amp would also be needed...nothing TOO strong but should cover both headphone and normal speaker needs. That is why I thought of the Nuforce HDP...anything better?

5. macrumors 65816

Destroysall

What headphone? I personally didn't enjoy the NuForce HDP, there are a plethora of DACs that are much better and cheaper.

6. macrumors newbie

KimJongEun

I have the Audinst HUD-MX1 which can be had for about $200. It's a fair bit cheaper than what you are looking at but IMO is a superb piece of kit.

7. macrumors G4

You do realize that of all the parts you'd need in a sound system the DAC i the least important and has the least effect of sound quality.

The single most important part is the speakers and the room itself.

Before anyone can recommend a DAC they would have to know what is the souurce material. Is it pre-recored CDs. MP3 files or something you recorded yourself. There is no need ofr a DAC that can handle 192K at 24 bits if you are listening to an MP3 or even a CD.