Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Hey guys, I have an iMac G5 (version10.5.8) and I'd like to transfer images and stuff from my laptop powerbook G4 (not sure of the version but it uses Tiger) onto the iMac. I was wondering which would be the best choice. I need a decent size as I'm a photography student and I take tons of large sized images. Would also need to possibly transfer programs also.

Thanks in advance.
:apple:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Target Disk Mode. This is where you hook both Macs up with a Firewire cable and boot your PB while holding down the "T" key on the PB's keyboard. The hard drive will show up on your iMacs desktop so you can just transfer your files that way.

Or if you want to just transfer the entire contents of your Powerbook to your iMac, you can use SuperDuper! to clone your PB hard drive to your iMac but this will erase everything on your iMac. It will be like booting up your Powerbook but only on your iMac, same files, apps, settings, etc.

Verne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
I'd use Target Disk Mode on your notebook.

I just did that and it didnt work when i used a firewire cable, i tried to connect to two computers over the enet but it didnt transfer the files i wanted and it erased my photoshop series now its asking for a password!

Verne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Target Disk Mode. This is where you hook both Macs up with a Firewire cable and boot your PB while holding down the "T" key on the PB's keyboard. The hard drive will show up on your iMacs desktop so you can just transfer your files that way.

Or if you want to just transfer the entire contents of your Powerbook to your iMac, you can use SuperDuper! to clone your PB hard drive to your iMac but this will erase everything on your iMac. It will be like booting up your Powerbook but only on your iMac, same files, apps, settings, etc.

yeah i transferred the contents of the PB to the iMac over the internet connected using migration assistant and it totally erased my photoshop, i have no idea how to undo it!! See my new post for full details, tnx!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I just did that and it didnt work when i used a firewire cable, i tried to connect to two computers over the enet but it didnt transfer the files i wanted and it erased my photoshop series now its asking for a password!

If TDM by FW didn't work, then there's something wrong with your computer or you did something incorrectly. You turned on your iBook while holding the 'T' key? After the FW symbol appeared on the screen you then connected it to your iMac with a FW cable? The iBook then showed up as a volume on your iMac's desktop? I've done this lots of times and it's worked every time.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You don't have the original install CDs for Photoshop? Sounds like you need to reinstall it and re-enter your serial number for it too work. Only other way for it to work is by cloning your PB hard drive to your iMac like I mentioned already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.