Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I've been using VisualHub lately to convert TV Shows that I recorded with my EyeTV 250 to an iPod format. That being said, it still seems like I'm getting a lot of blockiness during fast moving clips and stuff.

Using VisualHub, here's what I've been doing.

(iPod)
Optimized for TV
Quality (Go Nuts!)
H.264 Format

Advanced Options
Deinterlaced
Bitrate: 1500
2 Pass turned ON

The question is... how much higher can I go before it won't play on my iPod at all? I wanna view the TV Shows on my TV but, you can see the blockiness still... and when you actually watch iTunes Store video (same resolution) it looks nice and sharp. I do understand that the EyeTV 250 does have to convert the signal to digital and you probably lose quality already there as well as convert that to iPod format but, I'm trying to see if I can get the most quality I can.

Anyone have a certain technique they use that works well for them?

Edit: By the way, this Mac Pro converts video FAST! Holy crap! It takes about 8 minutes to convert a 20 minute TV Show with 2 Pass turned on! I LOVE IT! If you look in Activity Monitor while you're converting you'd see all 4 Cores filled to the top with Activity... now THAT'S a computer! Just thought I'd share my excitement about having one of the fastest Macs available.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I'm getting a lot of blockiness during fast moving clips and stuff.

This is something you're going to find very difficult to get around, it affects all compressed formats. Early DVD players used to suffer horribly with this and action films.

I stand-by 2-pass encoding, but you're already doing that.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.