Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
I've shot about 2 thousand raw photos that are burning a hole in my MBP's SSD. I need advice on what to use to clean this pile up and make them beautiful.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
+1 for Capture One Pro, import a typical image or so, setup a set of adjustments you would be happy with and save them as a Style. Then import all your images and apply the Style you saved on import....I did that for my entire 70k image file after exporting the originals from Aperture as I was THAT pleased with the better RAW conversion vs Aperture...

Reactions: USAntigoon

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've shot about 2 thousand raw photos that are burning a hole in my MBP's SSD. I need advice on what to use to clean this pile up and make them beautiful.
LightRoom or Capture One would be my recommendation.
Depends if you just want to edit them or use a DAM as well.
If you only want to edit them, look at DXO or OnOne as well.
Personally I have LR as I find it does 90% of what I need.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
I'm using a combination of Lightroom 6 (I dumped the Creative Cloud) with lots of presets (that's one of the main advantages of Lr), Pixelmator and Affinity Photo for stuff I used to do in Photoshop and MacPhun's plug-ins

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I'm using a combination of Lightroom 6 (I dumped the Creative Cloud) with lots of presets (that's one of the main advantages of Lr), Pixelmator and Affinity Photo for stuff I used to do in Photoshop and MacPhun's plug-ins

Why you dump CC? I'm considering dumping it as well and going with 6.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

You need quite a few things...

1) Software to organize the library. Some day you will have 20,000 images or more. You need to be abler to find them ten or 15 years later

2) Software to do light edits like crop and color balance and do minor corrections

3) Storage to hold all the images (some kind of big disk or NAS)

4) A backup system. Likely a local backup like Time Machine and some kind of off site system. (I would add a third redundant one as well.)

Adobe LightRoom can do both #1 and #2. I was a big fan of Apple's Aperture until Apple discontinued it.
#3 and #4 are very important too

If you do buy a big disk look at the rate of growth of your data and buy a disk that will still only by about 2/3 full after three years. Figure a 3 year life span and just replace it before it fails.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Why you dump CC? I'm considering dumping it as well and going with 6.
I dumped CC mostly because I rarely use Photoshop. When I do, it's for stuff that Snapheal and other programs do better. Adobe's Photography CC program is a good deal, but I still have a problem "renting" software.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You want a library capability to store and organize. You want non destructive editing. You want the ability to use 3rd party editing apps/plugins. Two main candidates: Capture 1 Pro and Lightroom. You can get Lightroom as a standalone or as part of Adobe's subscription plan that is $9.99 a month and includes both LR and Photoshop.

Personally I use Adobe Photography CC plan with LR and PS. The only 3rd party plugins I use these days are the Photo 10 set from One 1 Software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.