Best powered speakers to connect to an Airport Express

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mizzman36, Sep 11, 2004.

1. mizzman36 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I have a set of JBL Creatures connected to my Airport Express. The speakers seem to have stopped working, so I am looking for recommendations for a really nice set of powered speakers.

I also remember seeing an article a few months ago about a nice set of powered speakers that consisted of two satellite speakers (which were kinda cylindrical with three legs) and a subwoofer that looked a bit like an oversized Griffin PowerMate. I think these speakers were about $400 US.

Anyway, if people can remember the name of these speakers, or recommend some others, it would be much appreciated.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I also have the creature speakers, and like them alot, but it looks like your looking for an upgrade over them.

How about picking up a receiver, and some home stereo speakers? I currently have some Bose 301 speakers that I am very pleased with. Sure they take up more space, but they sound great.

Good Luck in the search.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Exactly.

For me, the entire point of AirPort Express is to pipe my tunes through an amazing stereo system. Computer speakers, even high-end ones, can't touch a good stereo. While they might be loud and deep, they're not as smooth as a good stereo. Pick up a nice reciever and a set of bookshelf speakers. Trust me, it's worth it.

4. mizzman36 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi people,

I finally found the speakers I was talking about. Eclipse 307 they are called:

Eclipse 307

They look like they'd be good but expensive I suppose.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Cool as the Eclipse speakers are, i'm with the people above-- get an actual system, not some little computer speakers. Everyone should have at least one good receiver/stereo system anyway, so it's an investment in your continuing good taste :)

paul