Best Powermac purchase for $1200

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 8, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

OK, Here's tonight's challenge. I have severley limited budget for a new mac (and I can't borrow a few hundred from uncle joe...) and *do* want a new mac.
    My use is primarily web, email, word, some light web design (dreamweaver), some photoshop/iphoto after vacations, email, and potentially Java and some programming. maybe a game here and there, some itunes, listinign to music, wathihc video/dvds.
    and, QUIET is a major factor - so the MDD G4 are OUT...

For $1200 I can get:
    1. G5 1.6 (using an adc discount) combo
    2. Older G4 and upgrade w/ sonnet G4 upgrade (slower dual or faster single?)
    3. Wait and see if G5 1.8 drops enough after Jan 20. I don;t think a G5 DP will be in my budget - no matter the drop.

Right now I am using a Wallstreet 266 -
    perhaps getting a G4 Upgrade card is enogh for now - but it won;t run an external monitor under OSX.

Suggestions?

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Re: Best Powermac purchase for $1200

I incline towards #3 myself. Wait for the new machines to show up, then find the best deal on the previous model. Usually if Apple has any stock left they put them in the Special Deals page. I've heard of 1.6's being available in the $1300 range. If you can't find a single 1.8 in your price range, then fall back to #1 and get a 1.6.

You have a monitor? If not pick up a used CRT 17" for $50 or so, and get something bigger and better down the road.

Forget the CPU upgrades, they're never worth the money. Ditto on #2, you'll spend a lot of money for a slow machine, and won't get back what you put into it.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thank you sounds like good advice - just need to be patient...ugh

anywho - I have an external monitor - do you know why my wallstreet will run a monitor under os9, but not under os x?