Best powerpoint viewer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by donmei, Mar 8, 2007.

1. donmei macrumors regular

Dear All,

I am again writing with a very basic question. Just to recap. I got my mom an iMac. She is a new computer user. We are both enjoying learing the mac.

My question is this. Her friends send her MS Powerpoint slide shows to view. She needs to view them. She will NEVER create a powerpoint slide herself.

Her need is really just to open email attachments. What would you use if you were me? Openoffice.org's PP equivalent. Or MS's PP viewer for mac. I'm just so leary to introduce any MS software onto this thing. Also given MS's Bloatware tendencies, I suspect that openoffice is smaller than just MS's viewer. ha.

Anyway, all opinions are appreciatied.

Don

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

When showing PP slideshows in Keynote, there are often errors...

3. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

Psyco - thanks for the input

Nazmac - the , admittedly sad reality is that 99.99% of all presentations created today are done in PP. Period.

If I want a "universal" viewer, I want something that my mom (who had been using a computer for exactly 1 week) can use without errors.

Don

Open office's presentation is called Impress.

Does anyone have any feedback on opening PP slides with IMpress.

Again, my goal is minimal hassle for my mom who is a NOVICE. I don't care what app is better. I only care what app will open a PP presentation with the least hassle.

(and with the goal of avoiding MS PP viewer at all costs) ;-)

Don

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've used NeoOffice with a fair degree of success.

I'd try the free solutions first before even remotely recommending a purchase of software if all she wants to do is view the slides.

And I'd not be too worried about installing MS's viewer, either.

5. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Ms Office 2007 actually becomes a viewer after 25 uses if not activated; Office 2008 may have the same functionality, so it may work pretty well, once its out =/