Best practical headphones for ibook/ipod (i gonna get an ipod and ibook YAY!!!!!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mood, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

Hey, now that i have my mom's credit card in my right hand and i'm about to splurge money to the left and right of me, I wanted to know what type of headphones would be good for the ibook and ipod (i'll be going to college).

i listen to a lot of differnet music, and i don't want one of those headphones that plug into the ears (too much earwax, and then you gotta share with other people blach!!!!), nor do i want one of those really big heavy 100 dollar + headphones with noise cancelltation.

i was looking at tihs one because it has good reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...38532-6228758?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172541
    The Sony MDR-G74SL about 35 dollars.

The other company that rivals Sony I think is Sennheiser

COMMEMNTS PLEASE@!!!!!!!!!

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Now why would you be tired of that. Isn't 854 google hits from the forums a bit too low...? :D

Just a reminder that there are even more ways to search the forums than the search function...

4. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

i already did the search button and those were for the more expensive headphones. i am not an audiophile.

i'm looking for good well-rounded headphones from like 30 to 65ish dollars and some people recommend the plug ins, but i'm not sure what is good.

5. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

these are what i use, they are made by a company called "skullcandy" I totally dig them... they have a built in "subwoofer" so they actualy "hit" when you listen to them, you can turn this on and off...but they are really comfy, they come with all the adapters you need for airplanes homestereo etc. plus they are only $70 and perform better than many of the $150 ones

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

if you don't want to spend much, why not just use the standard apple headphones? the earbuds? or whatever they're called

my headphones were a little more than what you're looking to spend, and the cheap ones i used for running probably won't quite fit the bill either...

good luck with your search!

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, since I've, personally, recommended the $40 Koss PortaPro countless times, you should be able to find something in your pricerange, too... :rolleyes:

8. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

But with very good sound, and they are extremely light. And if you don't like the looks, try the SportaPros. Just as good... ;)

10. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Dear Mood,
    I have the Panasonic RP-HT355, which are about ~$30 (probably lower online).
    I am not an audiophile, but I have found them to have good sound quality and be fairly comfortable.
    The other thing I like about them is the ability to control the volume from the headphone themselves; a nice feature if you're listening to iTunes from your laptop while working on other documents. That way, you don't have to keep flipping back to iTunes to change the volume. A small feature (and maybe it's available on all headphones in this price range, but I'm not sure), but one that I use often.
    One thing they don't do which I wish they did is fold down to a smaller size for portability.
    Overall, I am happy with them and would recommend them as good, sub-$50 headphones.

Here's a quick link to the Circuit City "Review" page, for what it's worth.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid.../order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Note: I have no vested interest in Circuit City; I just found the page near the top of the google search for these headphones.

Hope that helps!

11. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

i'ev been doinga lot of research on headphones and i've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser PX 100

and the Koss Portapro.

it's just that hte koss portapro is so damn ugly and the sennheiser i just don' tknow/.

12. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

after 4 hours of research i will go for the sennheiser px-100 AND the Sony MDR-EX71Sl/Wk plugs

i will use the sennheiser px-100 for the sound quality but it's con is that it's open so everyone hears it (doesn't matter when i'm playing music in my dorm or watching a movie)

i will use the sony plugs when i'm working out (running on treadmill or weightlifting only, i'm not gonna bike with these on), because they cancel outside sound well.

what do you guys think?

about 65 dollars total.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Grado SR60's are known as the best entry-level headphones. I have some SR80's, and before I got them I only listened to my music through either (a) my PB speakers or (b) my default iPod headphones. Now Listening to either of those sounds so bad!

edit: well it seems like you've made your choice... hope it works out for ya!

14. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

no i haven't ordered yet.

my dilemma if i got the grados would be that i wouldn't be able to use them in the gym (unless i wanted to look like a tool), but the sony plugins provide good bass and sound quality for its job.

unless...i switched the sennheiser px-100 for the grados 60..which would be the best.

is the grados 60 portable like on a train or a bus back home. and if it is, does it such A LOT more battery juice from the ipod and/or ibook?

but yeah the grados 60 is really good.

15. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

mood, you have had 189 posts in less than a month. everywhere i look i see post after post by mood, most making no sense. many are repeats. some are like "i like powerbooks. i like ibooks. how 'bout you?"

what's going on man? you eating paint or something?

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Using the SR60's in a gym would also be awkward because of the long cord. This is one of the reasons that I don't use my SR80's on the go. The cord is just too cumbersome and thick.

The thing about the grados is that they are open headphones, meaning that people around you can hear the music coming from them. On a plane, train, or bus, this could annoy the people around you.

17. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It might be best to PM him instead of crap on his thread...

18. Alone2Gether macrumors regular

I'm more of a earbud type of a guy. Check out the Shure e2c. Bought mine brand new for $65 but can't remember where.

19. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

grado 60s...trust me youll be the coolest on campus with that M*A*S*H* steeze. I was beating ladies off with a stick when i got my 60s

20. londy macrumors member

**well i see you're pretty close to making your decision. i'm still gon post this in case anyone else has the same question**

have you checked out ipodlounge? they have a whole subforum dedicated to headphones (i.e. in-ear, buds, high end, low end, wireless, noise cancelling).

you might also get more specific search results.

for my pod, i use sennheiser PX200s and Sony EX71s:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...51415-5652029?v=glance&s=electronics&n=541966
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...51415-5652029?v=glance&s=electronics&n=541966

and i got one or both of those from ecost.com.

21. Mood thread starter macrumors regular

Mood

with the open type of headphonesl ike the grados sr-60, how loud and obstrusive is it to people around you? i won't be playing that at ear-damaging levels, but to a point where i can hear all the instruments and the voice clearly.

if i got this, then it seems that the sony plugs would make a good "close-sealed" system for the gym and on the train.