best price for a 12 or 15 powerbook [most current revision].

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by resin_dr, May 10, 2005.

1. resin_dr macrumors newbie

hello all.

i'm looking into buying a new 12 or 15 powerbook [current revision]. Still up in the air regarding the 12 or 15.....however, i was wondering if anyone could recommend some places of where to get the best deal for the 12 or 15 powerbook [combo drive].

these threads about june 6 are driving me nuts and altering my sanity.

thanks.

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I know what you mean about June 6 (WWDC). I can't help but feel that Apple's going to update the iBooks *and* the PowerBooks at the same time with better specs to take advantage of the new features in Tiger.

I have a (current model) 15" PB with Combo drive in my cart right now. It's from Apple's refurb page and it's only $1699. I've been going crazy debate whether or not to pull the trigger. I want it soooo bad, yet I don't want to be hating it if Apple does update them at WWDC.

I know I could always sell it on eBay and probably get back close to what I paid later on, but still...

Oh, and they also had the last gen 12" PB with combo for $1099; the last gen 12" PB with SuperDrive for $1299; and the current gen 15" PB with SuperDrive for $1999.

I usually check the refurb page late late at night/super early in the morning since that's when Apple seems to post the deals there.

3. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I think you can get the current 12" from Amazon for $1350, but I chose the last rev for $999 on microcenter.com. The only difference is a slight speed bump really. I will buy some more cheap RAM and I am set!

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Under 2000 for both. Probably around 1500 or so...

5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

When was this? $999 is a sweet deal. Checked and can't find it.

6. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Call the store and ask for one. They can ship it too.

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Thanks for the info. I had checked online, but nothing. Guess I'll call the store near me tomorrow.

8. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

apple certified

I got the previous version from apple certified store, there new one is really not much different, just a tiny upgrade in speed and a couple of little details. It is a very good buy right now.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'd go with some refurbished PBs if they are available in your country. That's really the only way to get them for less than the retail price and still get a useable warranty.