best printer in the mac+printer rebate deal?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wmmk, Nov 2, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hello all. I've decided to get a refurb white 2.0Ghz macbook and upgrade the HDD and RAM myself. My epson C84 is broken, so i figured i might as well get a new printer for free or close to free. The most I'll spend is $150, although less would certainly be nice. I do a considerable amount of photography, so something that's good for photos would be nice. I don't really care about text, as long as it's legible. Something that could also scan and copy would be nice, but would not be as high priority as being able to print nice photos.
    Right now, I'm looking at:
    Canon Pixima MP460
    HP Photosmart C4180
    Canon Pixima MP510
    HP Photosmart C3180
    Canon Pixima MP510
    What would you say is the best value? Thanks,
    wmmk

EDIT: wireless isn't necessary, but would be quite a nice added bonus.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just got a rebrub 1.66 Mini for the same rebate deal and got the Canon PIXMA MP530 with it. I read some reviews online and it had great ratings. The HPs don't rate as well. I have an old SCSI scanner that I can't use so I wanted something of an all-in-one for scanning, don't need fax, but whatever.

The Canon is bigger than I expected. It looks like the MP460 and MP510 are good as well. I liked the idea of the document feeder so I can scan multiple pages into a single PDF file. Don't know how much use I will have for it.

After ordering it, I went by an Apple store to pick up a wireless KB, and saw some of the HPs, the C3180 and C4180 and they looked nice, smaller than the Canon, and white, no doc feeder, but a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

But I have also heard that the HPs don't work as well as the Canons and Epsons do with plugging into an Airport Extreme or Express for wireless router printing. And I plan on plugging my Canon into the Extreme so both the Mini and 12"PB can print to it.

Honestly, I haven't had the chance to hook it up yet and I think I will put in on a wood crate under the desk so that solves the looks issue. Another factor is that it has 6 cartidges vs. 4 or 2. I definitely wouldn't get a 2 tank, black + tri color. Get a 4 or 6.

Hope all that helps.

BTW. The Canon rated 7.6 on the site I looked up whereas the HPs were in the 5.5-6.2 range.
    The MP530 is 199 minus rebate. So I figure it will run me $115 after tax and rebate.

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

anyone know of some printer forums? i'm surprised at the low level of response.