Best Protective Sleeve? Post experiences.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackmack, Jul 8, 2006.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

Ok so i've been browsing the forum for hours and can only find old threads that kinda mention stuff for the older mac's. But I have a new 17" MBP.

My plan is to get a protective sleeve then get a nice bag or backpack and then ill be set.

The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a definite opinion on whats good or bad.

I thought Vyper looked good... but i saw some reviews that described it as a "cardboard" feel to it and didn't seem like it would protect much.

I looked into the no-shock sleeves or whatever, but honestly... they look like a scam or something because I found the exact same case under another name + i saw alot of posts about them selling powerbook cases as macbook pro cases.

Then I saw something from Axio...which looks the best, but says its for "powerbook"

Then I saw the one on Radtechs site which seems to be the best total, but can't find good reviews.

So.... how about some actual hands on experiences. If you own a protective case mentioned above or a different one. How do you like it? Post a link to your case please.

Thanks.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I have a Radtech for my iBook and it sucks. I've looked at many others and settled on a $20 black neoprene one from Micro Center. Since it goes in a bag, it's all the protection I need.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I had a Raidius (=Radtech in the US) sleeve for my iBook which I liked - it had a zip which allowed you to open it right up, a pair of carrying handles, little loops to hook over the corners so you could open it and keep it attached to the iBook (useful on the train etc).
    I've just got a Tucano for my MBP and am not all that impressed - zips don't allow easy access. It's ok, just not brilliant.
    I've also just bought a Crush drybag ( http://www.tauntonleisure.com/product_detail.php?item=8238 ) so I could take it on the boat - one of the advertising pics shows it with an MBP - it was only £9, but despite being well made from good materials its really not well designed - slightly too short, scratchy Velcro, webbing straps not long enough etc, so it might have to go back.
    I've come to the conclusion that you have to try before you buy.

4. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

you don't have to try before you buy if other people tell you about what they tried =D..thus this thread.

sad to hear about the radtech... it was my front-runner

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have a Tucano Second Skin for my iBook, which I'm very happy with. I just zip on the skin and toss it in any backpack. It actually works, too: A couple of Winters ago I actually managed to slip and fall twice within a few days, one time landing on my back(pack), the other time losing the backpack (which I only had on one shoulder) which fell hard onto the street. The iBook didn't seem to notice at all... :)

I've not gotten a skin for my new MacBook (the Apple retailer I usually go to sold out a whole batch in no time at all), but I'm going to go for a Tucano Second Skin for that, too... when I can get my hands on one, that is...

6. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

I also have a second skin, it has the extra benefit of people not seeing you got a laptop with you. And so your less likely to get it stolen :)

7. saga macrumors regular

I just got a bitolithic sleeve for my mb 13". I love it. Nothing too protective, though it will prevent scratches, and debris from getting to the machine. Great price at 34$ for the sleeve, screen protector(felt ), and a nice little neoprene bag that can be used to stuff all those chords and such in.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Is anybody finding that they need a screen protector for a MacBook? I had thought that this was sorted in the case design.

9. DocVT macrumors member

I really like my WaterField bag from sfbags.com. They are a little expensive, but you can design a sleeve for your own needs. They have lots of other styles beyond sleeves. I wanted something that did not immediately give away that I had a computer in my bag. Also, I wanted something durable, padded, and waterproof - it is made with neoprene and ballistic nylon. Check this link:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

10. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I don't think you need one of those. I don't have one for my 15" PB. My PB has (and im sure your macbook does too) has little feet on each side of the screen to prevent the screen mashing into the keyboard. Just regularly clean your screen and keyboard with iKlear,

I know some people just use the piece of material that came in the box as a screen protector.

I use a Crumpler School Hymn. It rocks! It gets used everyday. I treat it pretty rough and it has stood up to the challenge. Its still going strong after a year. Though its not really a 'sleeve' per se. Great review by a macrumors member here with pics

11. craigatkinson macrumors regular

craigatkinson

For a protective sleeve get an "incase design" neoprene sleeve. I own one myself and I just bought a regular cheap backpack and I throw my computer into it. No one ever suspects I have a $2000 machine strapped to my back. You can get these sleeves in the online apple store.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

seconded. Great sleeve!

13. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

AppleStore Europe has them (though they haven't gotten the 13" MacBook skins, yet).

...or you can try to order directly from Italy (or their NY office)... ;)

Edit: I have the Elements skin for my iBook but are considering getting the brown Guiana for my MacBook...

15. katy macrumors member

I have the Tucano Second Skin microfibre for the Macbook :cool: Comes with a screen protector thing too. Oh yeh forgot to say. I bought it from Cancom.

16. Apmonia macrumors regular

One for Radtech....

I have owned two different Radtech sleeves and have been nothing but happy with them. I use a Tom Bihn bag along with it for a little style.

Apmonia

17. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I have an "Incase" for my MBP... seems to do a good job.

[​IMG]

18. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I'll second(or 3rd or 4th) the recommendation for sfbags.com. I have a sleeve and it's the best one that I've ever had. Very good construction and very customizable for your needs.