Best Quality for DVD playback in FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    I have an important project due and I need to put it on dvd. What is the best quality to export the fcp file in for dvd playback???

Also, are live type titles better thank FCP? They look terrible in FCP.
  2. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
  3. dazey macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2005
    just use the DVD best quality preset in compressor with dolby audio (If this is compressor 2, if not you need to compress audio seperatly). Go for the preset with the shortest duration per dvd. IIRC the total combined max data rate is 9.8Mbps for audio and video, so video can go up to around 8Mbps I think. Compressor 2's max preset is 6.2 peaking to 7.7 Mbps which is more than enough.
  4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    thank you for your response, but could you please explain that to me in layman's terms...what you wrote seemed to be in another language

...basically i'm a newbie to FCP and have had a personal mac for almost a year, but not longer than that so i need things broken down very simple...we used macs in college, but we used media 100 and didn't have these other things that macs offer now

-what is compressor?
    -do I export the project to compressor? (i see an option for that, but I don't know what it is)
    -shortest duration per dvd? what does that mean? if it helps my production is about 6min 30secs long
    -who or what is IIRC?
  5. dazey macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2005
    you can either use the export to compressor option or export from FCP as a DV file (using export to quicktime file) and import to compressor. This has the advantage of not tying up FCP for the duration of the compression. To begin with just select the compress using compressor. That should launch compressor and allow you to apply compression settings to the sequence (ensure you have the in/out points set for the sequence). There will be a preset window with settings in that you can drop onto the file. At the end of the process you will have a video and audio file that you can import into dvd studio pro or idvd (at least I hope it will go into idvd, I have always used DVD studio pro!)

IIRC-If I recall correctly!

In compressor the quality levels are measured by how much video you can fit on a dvd (90, 120 or 150mins in compressor2), because you have a small amount you want the highest quality so the 90min preset.
  6. skimaxpower Guest

Jan 13, 2006
    LiveType is good for moving titles.

FCP's title engine, quite frankly, suxor. iMovie does a better job with titles IMHO. For FCP, try searching around for a plugin called "Title 3D." It used to come with FCP, but doesn't anymore. You can still download it for free though.

Even with Title 3D, the titles look really bad on your computer. Don't worry. After rendering, they'll look much better on the TV. They only look bad on the computer screen because FCP is adjusting for interlaced TV resolution.