Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
What is the better Racing game out of these choices?

Real Racing HD

Need for Speed Shift

Asphalt 5

GT Racing: Motor Academy HD

Other

Thanks! I want to buy a racing game, but I have no idea which one to get, they all look great.

Also, are there any racing games on iPad that have a free roam?

melinawaugh

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Mine favourite one is Need for Speed Shift for sure..his game has a certain 'fun factor' to it that I haven't really found in a sim. It still has all the sim stuff, including the driving style. The audio grabs you. Engines are overblown and sound aggressive. Screeching brakes will make your skin crawl in a good way. The whole presentation is very aggressive.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
First off, yes NFS Shift has a cockpit view and it is quite beautiful for a game on a mobile platform.

I agree that there is something very unique about NFS Shift, but I voted for Real Racing as the speed and controls are so perfect. I love the game. It would be nice to get some new real cars as dlc, but I simply have not found another racer with such control and sense of speed. I also really like GT Racing Academy and it has a pretty good career mode for an iPad game. Also it has a nice visual interior.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
All great

They are all great apps but I think that Real Racing HD has the best graphics and inside views.

Hope it helps

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Real Racing has a stupid AI. Even if you've been ahead of the pack for one hour or even ten hours, it don't matter. One simple mistake and the AI overtakes you :p. And to boot, Real Racing has a mediocre accelerometer system that makes your car difficult to steer/control. Get Need For Speed: Shift. The reason why Real Racing gets more votes is because its cheaper than Shift and more people own it :p. And it's rarer to find members here who owns both or all of them.

If someone reading this owns both, you can specify why one is better than the other. As for me, that's my take.

Also NFS has better graphics and you can see the windshield crack and break. Has rear-view mirror, smooth and easy to steer, and nicer cockpit view. Most of all, it' has the best sense of speed and has the best FUN factor (because it's more arcade-ish rather than SIM)!!!!!

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
First my number one: Real racing HD has great graphics, great controls and you can switch 2 cockpit mode.
Secondly I like Asphalt 5 HD very much, great gameplay, turbo boost, hidden tracks, etc...

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
First my number one: Real racing HD has great graphics, great controls and you can switch 2 cockpit mode.
Secondly I like Asphalt 5 HD very much, great gameplay, turbo boost, hidden tracks, etc...

You should try Need For Speed: Shift. :p

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
What makes a great racing game?

For some it will be the 'arcade experience' which is allowing for significant error and still have fun gameplay.

For others its the sense of realism and performance of each car with heavy learning curve.

I've played all of these (although not for hours on end for any of them).

I prefer in the following order:
1. RealRacing for its balanced controls and gameplay.
2. GT Racing:Motor Academy took me by surprise in its nice handling and huge variety of cars.
4. Asphalt5* (I can't remember if I have played it on the iPad) I really didn't like its on the iPhone as a racing game, but an arcade game with challenges made it entertaining)
5. NFS:Shift had what felt like a little more realistic difficulty in driving.

* feels least like a realistic driving experience, more arcade-like in game play

My rank really is only an opinion and I don't consider myself a driving game nut, but the descriptions between apps may help someone decide for themselves.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
1. RealRacing for its balanced controls and gameplay.

Can you please specify how you'd describe "balanced" in describing the controls? I have both the iPhone and HD versions and RR is seriously wonky and over-sensitive that makes it seem as if you're driving on ice. Balanced gameplay? The fact that you don't know where the other cars are behind you makes a poor SIM experience. Like I said, you'll just have to know that the cars behind you is actually only 2 seconds behind because it doesn't matter how long you've been ahead of the pack, one simple mistake and you're overtaken. Yes, just like that. :confused:

So as much as I'd like to support Firemint, sorry but RR is just "unbalanced" compared to GTR and NFSS. My 2 cents.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Can you please specify how you'd describe "balanced" in describing the controls? I have both the iPhone and HD versions and RR is seriously wonky and over-sensitive that makes it seem as if you're driving on ice. Balanced gameplay? The fact that you don't know where the other cars are behind you makes a poor SIM experience. Like I said, you'll just have to know that the cars behind you is actually only 2 seconds behind because it doesn't matter how long you've been ahead of the pack, one simple mistake and you're overtaken. Yes, just like that. :confused:

So as much as I'd like to support Firemint, sorry but RR is just "unbalanced" compared to GTR and NFSS. My 2 cents.

Well, perhaps 'balance controls' wasn't the best wording. I like the balance between realistic driving and arcade experience. I can't remember ever driving at 90mph and doing tight turns in my own car, but I imagine it would be skidding around. I have had a few instances of slipping on ice and you're right (my car actually did respond similarly to the in-game driving response -- without the ice).

Unfortunately, the polls are likely to favor the best selling or those with the greatest number of active users. Unless a game is actual garbage, its really about the optinion and expectation of the player. I haven't done many software reviews, so I may not be the best at determining the criteria to fairly differentiate products.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
Well, perhaps 'balance controls' wasn't the best wording. I like the balance between realistic driving and arcade experience. I can't remember ever driving at 90mph and doing tight turns in my own car, but I imagine it would be skidding around. I have had a few instances of slipping on ice and you're right (my car actually did respond similarly to the in-game driving response -- without the ice).

:eek:
LOL. It's a game. Doing tight turns @ 90mph in real life STILL wouldn't feel identical to playing a game in a small device.

Anyway, my point with Real Racing is that it ISN'T as fun as Shift or GT Racing: Motor Academy. I am continually giving it more play chances in case I am missing the hype. It just isn't. If I am wrong, I am still waiting for those who owns all these games to give a proper comparison and so far nobody is doing it. Which just goes to show that not many people own Need For Speed: Shift or GT Racing: Motor Academy next to Real Racing. Polls suck. If we go to Yahoo Answers and make a poll which is better, Windows 7 or Snow Leopard, who would win? And why? Ownership of only one product.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Well actually, I ended up buying GT Racing: Motor Academy HD. I was going to buy NFS Shift, but the screen shots made the game looks super arcadish. I am very happy with GT Racing. The graphics are great, the steering is fairly realistic, the career mode is very well done, and there are so many different types of cars all with great graphics.

iPad_Screenshot_3.jpg

GTRACING1.png

iPad_Screenshot_5.jpg

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Need for Speed, although the screen shots your showing for Motor Race Academy seem nice. I tried Real Racing but just didn't care for it.

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
I played Real Racing and finished it after a couple of weeks of casual play. Fun and good enough UI but didnt know what to do after that. Didnt get why to go online. Havent played it since but its a good app to let friends try racing on the Ipad.

Bought GT Racing which I like. Is Gran Tourismo style but hate the handling on ice and dirt, but most road courses are good.

Bought Shrek Karting for 99c. Crap! Better off using Mario Karts on the Wii if you like that style.

Tried Skid Racer for top down view. Cant believe it uses keys to steer, both on the left side. Quick fun but needs accelerometer.

Drift mania - even worse. Zzzzzzzz top down view.

Havent tried Asphalt 5 or NFS. Not really into NFS style racing and chose GT Racing instead of Asphalt.

Summary: GT Racing better than Real Racing for longer fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.