Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Are you wanting something to use with both your Air and Imac? If so, a USB interface is your only choice. But then you have a Macbook, so you could go Firewire.

If you do plan on using the Air as a portable recording solution, and if you want to be able to use phantom powered condenser mikes and power them without the need for an external power supply, then make sure the device can do that. Not all USB devices can do that. Same thing with some Firewire devices (that can't provide portable power.)

Lot's of "ifs"... Probably best if you describe your plans/needs in more detail.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I own this: Alesis MultiMix FireWire. Integrates beautifully with GarageBand, but also comes with Cubase.

Worth every penny. Works as an actual mixer as well if you ever wanted to connect it to a PA System. 8 inputs and the ability to use condenser mics under phantom power is great.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Are you wanting something to use with both your Air and Imac? If so, a USB interface is your only choice. But then you have a Macbook, so you could go Firewire.

If you do plan on using the Air as a portable recording solution, and if you want to be able to use phantom powered condenser mikes and power them without the need for an external power supply, then make sure the device can do that. Not all USB devices can do that. Same thing with some Firewire devices (that can't provide portable power.)

Lot's of "ifs"... Probably best if you describe your plans/needs in more detail.
I will not be using my air i will be using my iMac and/or a MacPro

I own this: Alesis MultiMix FireWire. Integrates beautifully with GarageBand, but also comes with Cubase.

Worth every penny. Works as an actual mixer as well if you ever wanted to connect it to a PA System. 8 inputs and the ability to use condenser mics under phantom power is great.

How much???

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
How much???

Well, I got it a couple years ago for £180 ($260), but I see the 12 track version with actual sliding volume controls is only $269 now.

p31551h-8c0804d510220cba38c7cf8cd0eaed7e.jpg

Taken from ZZ Sounds. Make sure you get the FireWire version, not the USB version. FireWire gives you true full 24-bit recording.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
Well, I got it a couple years ago for £180 ($260), but I see the 12 track version with actual sliding volume controls is only $269 now.

p31551h-8c0804d510220cba38c7cf8cd0eaed7e.jpg

Taken from ZZ Sounds. Make sure you get the FireWire version, not the USB version. FireWire gives you true full 24-bit recording.

Deff FW

is it 400?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
No you don't need that.

The Alesis 16-channel mixer RRP price is $699. ZZSounds always has massive discounts on them, hence why it is $269.

I'd never buy a recording device that doesn't have a mixer. Fair enough you can adjust it on the software, but I prefer being able to physically adjust it all before it reaches the software. Much easier too when you are setting up initially - equaliser adjusting and setting up is much quicker and convenient when you have physical controls rather than software based. Save the fine tuning on the software side for the actual mastering of the production.

celloycafe

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
I'm selling my alesis mixer

If you want to buy mine you can. i have an Alesis multimix 12 firewire mixer. I am selling it because I don't need it anymore.

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
You could look into a Line6 Toneport

http://line6.com/toneport/

They have a lot of different flavors to suit your needs, but you should also check out the pro quality effects processors/simulators that come with it standard.

-Sam

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
I would say that you should get the Alesis, you can't just add a third or fourth channel to the M-Audio like you can add RAM to a computer. What if you want to record a CD and add a string quartet on? Or you want to add drums or more guitars or bass? Always try to futureproof yourself.

celloycafe

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Get the Alesis

I say you get the Alesis too because the cool thing with alesis you can connect more than one of them together with firewire to get more inputs. With the interface, the only inputs you have are the ones on there. Like the m-audio has 2 that's all you get. I'm selling my Alesis for $260 on amazon.com and it comes with a custom bag and all original cd's and and include Cubase LE professional recording software. I have only used it like 4 times. The reason I'm selling it is because I don't need it anymore. When I used it for recording though, I loved it. Great mixer. Great price too.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Have you bothered to read anything in this thread?

It is USB 2.0 for a start..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.