best recording setup for my new 17" powerbook.. please help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by venture160, Oct 18, 2003.

1. venture160 macrumors newbie

hey i dont know where to post this, but what would be my best bets for recording with my 17" powerbook. My budget is around 1,500. I need something that is portable and I can setup on stage and record shows. thanks in advance

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I know that Griffen Technology makes something that is used for recording, but I fear that it is too simple for you, given your budget. This is not really my area of expertise, but I noticed that no one had posted yet, and I thought that I would try to point you in a direction, just not sure its the right one.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: best recording setup for my new 17" powerbook.. please help

1. how many channels of simultaneous recording?
    2. is the budget just for the h/w interface and s/w, or does it include outboard gear like mics, mixer, etc?
    3. what do you plan on doing w/ the tracks, once recorded? simply mix them down, or add keyboards, do overdubs, etc?

4. venture160 thread starter macrumors newbie

to answer questions ,

i will need at the most about 8 inputs to work with to cover live recordings. And I am looking for a complete SOFTWARE and HARDWARE setup... i have looking into a digi002 rack version, motu 828mkII with logic, or the 896hd with logic, are there better combinations? better software programs i should use?

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you've hit upon the big three. i use PTLE w/ a digi002 rack. when doing remote, i use an 800 MHz ibook, with which i can record 8 simultaneous channels while playing back 16, all at 96/24.

if you're planning on doing a lot of midi, definitely look at Logic.

have a look at http://www.osxaudio.com/. there're a lot of Logic users there, but all three options are well represented.

all can do the job and you'd probably be happy w/ any. though i can't personally attest to the simultaneous recording capabilities of Logic and DP.

6. venture160 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do you get 8 inputs into the digi 002? i would need something for 2 drum overheads, vocals, bass, guitar, and keys and then horns possibly

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

inputs:
    - 4 mic pre's
    - 4 dedicated balanced ins
    - 4 switchable balanced ins (but lose mic pre's)
    - switchable ADAT ins (8) or SPDIF (2)

w/ my remote kit, i can record 6 simultaneous mics. 4 using the digi pre's, plus 2 from an outboard mic pre (fed into 2 of the digi's balanced ins)

so you'd need the ability to convert 4 mics to line level signals. you could use a mixer or outboard mic pre's for this.

8. Skilz34 macrumors member

I was in your same situation a couple months ago.........

I would get a MOTU 828 or the new 828 mkII.....it is a firewire interface.......the latter of the two has built in midi ports

Also I would buy Ableton's Live.........

Get a mic and you are all set, all this is about $800 (with the MOTU 828, used on ebay for about $500) and with the mkII it may run you a couple hundred more.........

email if you have any questions....skilz34@charter.net

9. ph0rk macrumors 6502

MOTU has not released ner 10.3 drivers for the 828mkii, and it currently does NOT work with panther.

FYI