Best remote desktop app for iPad3-Mac with sound!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vd0t, Apr 7, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,

I tried Splashtop Remote Desktop app for the iPad but I've been having some problems with the sound. It's pretty fluid but the sound doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, it's ok. The graphics are not that crisp but it's more responsive than other VNC apps I've tried.

Are there any other remote desktop apps out there that transfers sound to the iPad? I've seen some for Windows but not Mac. I would love to be able to watch movies and such using this kind of app! Retina display support would be a bonus!

Thanks!

2. macrumors regular

What do you mean it doesn't work? Did you enable the option to send sound?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I have. I've tried re-installing it and everything as well. But still not working. I even contacted their support. Perhaps it's incompatible with iPad 3. I'm not sure.

4. macrumors 6502a

You don't need Splashtop to stream movies there are many apps on the appstore that can stream your media like StreamtoMe.

Between SplashTop and Logmein I prefer logmein mainly because of the mouse option oppose to splashtop they just make more sense but I'm also grandfathered into logmein's old app Ignition which gives me sound and HD quality option that normal logmein users have to pay for so.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the trial version of Logmein Pro and it works very well. No hassle! But it's quite expensive at $70 per year...

6. macrumors 6502a

For that much you might as well buy the Ignition App for $99. A one time payment to always have Pro. But way too much compared to Splashtop.

7. macrumors newbie

Sound works like a champ for me with Splashtop on iPad 2.

I recommend you wait for an update for retina display and see if that fixes the audio too. You might try faster internet as well.

8. macrumors regular

If you just want to stream movies why don't you use AirVideo?

9. macrumors regular

I think RDP (non-mac) supports sound and not VNC ones?

10. macrumors newbie

ipad 3 with splashtop hd for me works for both video and sound.. when watching media i changed from sharp to smooth. and videos are fine with audio.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what I did but suddenly sound is transmitting! This is after I installed LogMeIn so might have something to do with that. Now that it's working, Splashtop is definitely a good alternative to LogMeIn (and very cheap in comparison). Perhaps not as polished though.