best resources for learning Applescript & Automator

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by SE30rulez!, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SE30rulez!, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012

macrumors newbie

Hi all - -

A life-long Mac devotee, I am finally getting around to learning the basics of programming.

I want to start off with AppleScript and Automoator - - so my question is, what resources does anyone recommend for learning these two?

I am familiar with Java already, so programing basics are not a problem. I am really looking for a good place to get all the syntax and conventions, plus some good examples, ideally all in one place.

saw a bunch of books on amazon - not sure what is good and what is not
    also saw vast resources within Apple's site but would REALLY appreciate any guidance to narrow it down - what should I focus on FIRST.

THANKS all!

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

sorry - forgot to say that the MacRumors' link to the Applescript page at the top of THIS page appears to be broken - - I dug around apple.com/developer a little today and am not seeing applescript section (perhaps I need more digging, but my point is - what is the BEST place to start to get an overview?)

THANKS again

2. kryten2, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 603

The MacRumors link works for me. That page contains links to dead apple.com pages, but that's not the same as saying the MacRumors link is broken.

Google search terms:
    applescript site:developer.apple.com

Those terms perform a site-specific search for the word applescript. The site is specified as developer.apple.com in order to find developer docs, as distinct from marketing literature (apple.com), mailing-lists (lists.apple.com), or discussion forums (discussions.apple.com).

The top two search results are AppleScript Overview and AppleScript Language Guide. The AppleScript Overview has a section heading entitled Automator, with links to Automator docs.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

my bad

yes - sorry about "broken link" comment - - the MacRumors link does work - just the apple side that is doing something else now.

thanks for the suggestions - will look them over - much appreciated.