Best rock/metal/hardcore band...

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Sep 21, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know that this is purely opinion but I am interested in ya'll's opinions. I would make a poll, but there are so many different bands that it wouldn't be a very good/fair poll. I guess I will start it off:

Best right now: Flaw
    One that might be the best in a week: System of a Down

Why System of a Down? Because it grows on you. THe 1st time I listened to Toxicity I didn't like it too much. I listened to it a couple more times and liked it more and more. I like it more every time I listen to it. BUt I have been listening to Flaw a lot this past month, and I really like them. 'Payback' is an awesome song, but all the songs are good.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hah...System!

Those guys are nuts it makes me laugh!

Psycho's pretty cool, along with probably the middle of the CD.

A few weeks back I had my father order a whole bunch of CDs for me, and I also had my father pay for CDs from Amazon.com.

StainD - not so hardcore, yet powerful
    Limp Bizkit - hardcore, some big hits, semi-impressive
    TRUSTcompany - consistant, not much variation
    Incubus - not hardcore, emotional, very pure
    Nickelback - mostly soft, some big hits, variation
    Default - rather soft, a few great hits, somewhat pure
    Disturbed - hardcore, some great hits, has variation
    System - hardcore, zero purity, only for those in a cheerful mode

I left out some of my other favorites, because some people just say they "suck". :rolleyes:

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Best rock/metal/hardcore band..." kinda a broad question isn't it? 1 large music genre (rock) and 2 distinct sub-genre's (metal/hardcore) of rock... I'll confine my answers to the "metal" side of things. Bands I think are worth mentioning (in no particular order):

Pantera
    MegaDeth
    Metallica
    Warmachine (It's a new band called "warmacine", not the 80's hair-band warmachine)
    Dark Moor
    Helloween
    Iron Maiden
    Slayer
    Spite
    Iced Earth
    Nevermore
    Switched
    InFlames
    System of a Down
    Blind Guardian
    Stratovarius
    Kittie
    Type O Negative

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Tool. Hands down. no contest. my favorite.

Also Godsmack are just cool guys in addition to being a great band... they were banned from playing in their hometown in Manchester NH and did a huge grassroots movement to get people to call the city council and force them into signing the permit.

They gave a way free tickets to their boston show to anyone who called and voiced an intelligent grievence with their policy.

It was great.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(W-_-W) Linkin Park anybody?

>(MacBandit) No one likes KoRn?

Heh. Just so you guys aren't left out, I like two albums from both of those bands as well. :)

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I also like many of the other bands that have been listed. I just felt that some have been left out.

8. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: Best rock/metal/hardcore band...

God i'm getting old..... even the movies I saw in theaters are popping up on American Movie Classics:(

9. vniow macrumors G4

Best metal band? Isn't that kinda an oxymoron? :p

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

old hard rock...kiss, zep, and the scorpions

current bands still together...metallica, creed, and i heard a clip/link from KCs site and disturbed sounds very catchy...great musicianship

in the hard rock music/punk genre, i like offspring and afi...lot's of energy

old punk...pistols and ramones

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    korn?.....posers...jonathan, please cough up that furball....

fred durst?...your 15 minutes are up...take your lame self away.

system....i'm technically too old to like:D ...but they are unique and creative and the guy can sing.

same goes for linkin park...good songs and excellent singer.

metallica...too good for this category...their show with the SFO orchestra was just brilliant.

and any band chris cornell sings with...THE best rock singer since robert plant.

12. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

lol, nice one, even if I disagree. Metal is the best genre.

I like Limp Bizkit... sometimes.... but I hate Fred Durst. I hate when people do the bad-ass act when they aren't bad-asses. That include Eminem - who is the worst music artist that has ever lived . I said in the 1st post my fav bands were SOD and Flaw, but in truth, they are just my fav metal bands, and I like to keep my ears open towards other music. Like right now I am listening to 'The Best of Rent', but I might listen to Mudvayne (who I don't particularly like, but that's OK).

13. job macrumors 68040

job

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I personally listen to mostly classic rock but my favorite new stuff comes out of metal, alternative, and techno. There are a few bands that I feel have actually fused all three and my main preference is for metal-techno.

15. dreamlance macrumors regular

Linkin Park and Metallica rank on my faves list, especially Metallica's gig with SFO. I appreciate what System of a Down brings to the scene but I can't stand the singer's voice. Limp Bizkit has lost my vote. TRUSTcompany is good. Stonesour and Unwritten Law are okay too. I hope to see more of all those bands. Audiovent is coming to my college next week and hopefully that'll be a good show.

16. vniow macrumors G4

Well, you may like it, but I can't stand it. I used to like it sorta, but I grew out of it really fast. I soon discovered that there was a world outside metal!:eek:
    I think there are a few good metal bands but the genre as a whole is just too formulatic and boring, I mean, it's the same stuff, over and over again, I hate my parents, nobody likes my, I'm gonna kill every one! (okay that is way oversimplified, but you know what I mean:))
    I just took one long hard look at the music I was listening to and realized that I was listneing to a genre that was formuatic, whiney, Christian, conservative and redneck at the same time.:eek::p
    I'm much more into soul, prog-rock, and acid jazz now, any of which are darker and heavier than anything I've ever heard in metal.

End of rant.:)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

actually, metal is very often formula like and safe...rap really goes out there but i am not a big fan of rap or numetal that may use rap concepts, sounds, etc

18. vniow macrumors G4

That's anoher reason why I don't like it, is that it's safe. You know what you're getting into, no risks. I like rap, but not modern mainstream rap, it seems to be going through some sort of yuppie phase which I hope and pray that it grows out of very soon, but a lot of the indie stuff like S.P.O.O.K.S, Blackalicious, the Roots, Mos Def and Mission are really good and have absolutely kick-ass bands.
    If you judge rap by what you see on MTV, then you're really missing a lot of great music.
    :)

19. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I think most/every genre has a very formulatic center, but there are bands on the outsides that dont sing about I hate my parents/Im gunna kill you/pain/Abuse/etc. One such band is sevendust, which is good, another is POD. I dont like POD too much, but they are still pretty good. There are a lot of bands that follow that formula (Disturbed, Papa Roach, and others - I love both disturbed and papa roach) but not all do. Even if they do follow the formula they can still be good bands (like Papa Roach and Disturbed - Both in my top 5 list).

20. vniow macrumors G4

I'm going to have to agree with you here, after all, any genre of music has to have something in common (i.e. a forumla) in order to be grouped together as a genre.
    My experience with metal is that a lot of the bands stick with that forumla and don't ever deviate it and it just gets boring after awhile.(unless they're AC\DC of course.:p)
    I like listening to music when I don't know what's going to happen next. (You haven't heard anything unless you've heard the Cinematic Orchestra. Anyone should check them out, whether you like jazz or not, they're just f*cking brilliant!:D)
    Anywayz, my favorite band right now is this garage-punk band from New York. Click on #5 for a sample. They're an.......acquired taste.:)

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well with old school stuff... minor threat's great. youth of today. 7 seconds (still going....), chain of strength

more current.... boy sets fire, bane, shelter, farside, sense field (first few albums moreso), gameface, hot water music, trial, stretch arm strong, thursday

yeah.

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The reason I like metal is the energy that you can draw from it. It can really pump you up and get you going if your in the right mood.

23. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Well, I don't listen too much to heavy metal, but I'm more a prog-rock person. Heavy metal is too boring for me because I find all the music inside that genre very similar... Prog-rock is advanced rock and very different from band to band. Bands like Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment is my favourites when it comes to rock music.

24. iGav macrumors G3

Hmmm..... I much prefer Industrial beats and something with a groove, rather just your standard guitar sounding like a chainsaw stuck in a knot kind of thing...... Things is, I'd consider bands like the Prodigy and Underworld hardcore, because live, they just totally go off on one...... They have energy that most metal bands have wet dreams about....... :p

Dos Dedos era PWEI........ 'Dos Dedos Mis Amigos' is one of my favourite albums ever..... And it's rare day when I go to gig that could match PWEI for energy..... Shame they split in 96 though.......

Ministry/ Rev Co
    Curve....... superior vocals by Toni Halliday...... she is a fox! and for the song 'Chinese Burn'
    Nine Inch Nails
    Senser
    The Senseless Things
    Filter
    Tool
    J G Thirwell/Foetus
    Meat Beat Manifesto/ Jack Dangers
    The Aphex Twin
    The Black Dog
    Beaumont Hannant