best router for a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sparhawk, Oct 9, 2005.

1. sparhawk macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2005
    We own an iMac G5 20" and a AMD 2800XP+

we will get EVDO soon, what is the best router, wireless of course...
    any other helpfull info also welcome :)
  2. robcts macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't think it matters if you have a mac or not, all routers will work. With that said, I'd get a Netgear one. I have a Netgear WRT54G and has worked flawlessly for me.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The difference being -
    1) If you have more than one Mac in the network, many brands of wireless router do NOT route appletalk over the wireless connection. Bad for OS9 machines and Apple printers.

2) Many brands do not allow you to update the router Firmware from a Mac. So if you don't have a PC on the network you have to call a friend with a PC laptop to update the flash RAM in the router, which sux because you have to endure the taunting from the WinNuts.
  4. wkw macrumors 6502

Mar 23, 2004
    Eugene, OR
    I have become very attached to my airport express. I had a linksys for a long time that I had difficulty with and a d-link I bought recently was pretty much impossible to get connected. My freind has a netgear and has some trouble with it but it seems to work most of the time. I have had zero problems with my airport express.

5. kshkval macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2003
    Netgear works great

I use(d) a Netgear RP614. It's not wireless, in my opinion that's a plus. I never had any problem between it and the ABS I use for my PB. A few weeks ago, lightning fried nearly all of our upstairs electronics including the Netgear. I reconfigured the LAN to have the ABS distribute IPs (to my PB and 2 old iMacs w/o Airport cards) instead of the Netgear and have had horrible problems ever since. It just seems like the ABS does NOT like distributing IPs to hardwired old iMacs. I miss my Netgear RP614 and will probably go back to the old LAN soon.
  6. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    No you don't. Linksys makes the WRT54G. :) I have had no issues with my WRT54G either. I've also put one in our church and it's been flawless.
  7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I use Belkin 54 G wireless router (it has 4 ports for "wire connection" as well) and it has been my base for home network. All of my Macs and PC/Linux are netowrked. Also, I have the wireless card from Belkin 54g for my TiPB as it did not come with the airport card (this Ti is a 2001/2 model). I did not need to install any software on my Mac as I can set up everything with the hardware itself.
  8. robcts macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    Oops - I musta been tired when I wrote that :D
  9. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I hace had my AirPort Extreme for over 2 years now and it works great with my Mac's and Windows computers. The Airport Express also works great, I use mine as a range extender. But if you don't want to pay the high price for Apple wireless, I would get the Linksys router...everyone I know loves it.
  10. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    My Airport Extreme Basestation is flawless. I've had lots and lots of routers over the years (Linksys and Netgear). Nothing has compared to the Apple router.