Best scanner/printer/copier for iMac PPC (last model)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clcnyc, Nov 3, 2006.

1. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

I'm looking for a multifunction scanner/printer/copier for my iMac G5. I'm thinking either a Canon or HP. Anyone have any advice/suggestions? I'm looking for small-don't have much space to work with...

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

what price range you're looking @ of spending ??

Have you liked the Canons before (if you used them the same for HP )

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just got a Canon PIXMA MP530 with my mini. I apologize I haven't used it yet. But I read up on it quite a bit before ordering and it is the highest rated all-in-one I found. It has a document feeder which I thought was a nice feature for copies or scanning multiple pages into a single PDF.

The down side is that it is a bit larger than I expected. 18 inches by 18 inches footprint. After ordering it I was in an Apple store and saw the HP C3180 and C4180 and I like the size better and look (they are a nice white color). The HPs are also only flatbed scanners, no doc feeder.

The Canons seems to rate better than the HPs, but I haven't seen the PIXMA MP460 or MP510, neither of which has the doc feeder but both of which are smaller than the MP530.

Lastly, I would go for a printer that uses 4 or 6 tanks rather than 2 (1 black, 1 tricolor).

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

BTW, all the printers I mentioned are $99 to $199 from Apple, or less elsewhere.

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I've had terrible experience with Epson. Now that I have a Canon PIXMA, I never look back. It's the MP150 model. Canon printers have the ink head in the cartridge, so if the ink heads get clogged or otherwise, you can just change the ink. Epson and other brands have the print head in the slider, so if it gets clogged, you can be in for some serious disassembly.

It was 85 dollars, perhaps cheaper now. It has a scan bed, no document feeder though. It works fine with my airport express too.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly