Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

downhillboy86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
San Luis Obispo, CA
I'm considering buying a new Mac mini and I was curious what would be the best screen for me. I'm a college student and my computer is my main source for watching DVD's, so what's a well priced 20"+ widescreen monitor? Thanks. Oh and if you have pics of the screens that you have feel free to post 'em.

mrcammy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2006
Yea, I was looking at the 2007FWP, seems like a lot of people really like it. I was also considering a Samsung that 214T that's the same price. Any thoughts?

I am using the Dell as a second monitor attached to my 24" iMac. The Mac monitor is brighter, whiter, and has less of the screen door effect. But as long as it's not next to a 24" iMac screen, you should be okay. Decent monitor for the price.

Applejuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
If you hit one of the deal sites, you can find pretty good prices on Dell monitors (20" WS = $350ish). Lately there have also been pretty good deals on 19 - 21 LCDs from places like Costco and BB.

clindner

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
If you have an Office Depot near you, you could look for this model:

Hanns-G HW-191D 19" Widescreen Digital/Analog LCD Monitor

This is $159.99 at their stores through November 4th, if you can find one in stock. The unit has gotten average reviews, but for the price it is fantastic. 1440x900 / 5 ms response time.

It comes with VGA and DVI cables, and a cable for the internal speakers.

I was able to find one at the 3rd store I checked. I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how good it will be...

-Curt

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Well, a 20" or 23" Apple Cinema of course, the 23" being preferential for HD and size.

Of course they are more expensive, but the EDU price on a 23" ACD is $899.

And you may find a deal, I just talked to my local Microcenter today and they had an open box return 23" ACD for $849. I called because my buddy just got a 20" ACD open box at Microcenter the other day for $400!!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
If you don't have any monitor right now, why don't you just look at an iMac? It is a better value for most people.

downhillboy86

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
San Luis Obispo, CA
If you don't have any monitor right now, why don't you just look at an iMac? It is a better value for most people.

I have a 20" C2D iMac, but I've decided to sell it because its much more computer than what I need. I can get away with Mac Mini, I'm just trying to find a decently priced widescreen 20"+ monitor.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
If you have an Office Depot near you, you could look for this model:

Hanns-G HW-191D 19" Widescreen Digital/Analog LCD Monitor

This is $159.99
-Curt

Just got one of those about 3 weeks ago - in the UK they are about £110 - 115 I think. It's one of the few cheap monitors with a DVI input, which is why I got it. The silver one is an almost exact match with my MBP, with a nice narrow bezel. The stands a bit crap, but I've put it on a vesa mount anyway. And most importantly, no dead pixels.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Just got one of those about 3 weeks ago - in the UK they are about £110 - 115 I think. It's one of the few cheap monitors with a DVI input, which is why I got it. The silver one is an almost exact match with my MBP, with a nice narrow bezel. The stands a bit crap, but I've put it on a vesa mount anyway. And most importantly, no dead pixels.

That's good because the Hanns 19 I saw at Office Depot had at least three bad pixels. And it was black. And ugly. Get a used Cinema or Studio Display.

I love Apple

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I am also using the Dell 2007WFP and its an awesome display, HIGHLY recommended.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
setup.jpg

If you have the cash go for the ACD, they look great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.