Best Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cragmr, Jan 31, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm looking for a screen protector for my 13" MBA. Ideally it would just be something that fit directly over the screen, no extra case/shell required. Just trying to keep the screen looking good (right now it gets stuff on it from contact with the keyboard when closed).

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

That is a pretty good idea, I never thought about that. I still use the paper type sheet that Apple supplies in the box. it almost looks like the same kind of material or is this cloth?

4. macrumors 6502a

Silicone keyboard mats are another option. The KB is really the only thing you have to protect the screen from when you close the laptop.

If you're worried about the glass scratching... Don't. I babied mine for about a year until I gave up and started wiping it clean with whatever I had handy. Napkins, shirt sleeves, etc.

2+ years later, and no scratches yet!

5. macrumors 604

Laptops don't need screens protectors for the same reason flip top cellphones dont: Because the design protects it! Devices mainly get scratched when on the go, not when your using it.

----------

The MacBook Air (and all other laptops) are designed so the keyboard will never touch the screen. Its physically impossible providing the rubber strip along the edge of the screen is intact. And even if the screen could touch the keyboard, the damage would be minimal.

6. macrumors 6502

Its a microfibre cloth. Can be used to clean the screen or your phone or anything else later on. I used the paper too for a few weeks :D

7. nina simone, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

macrumors newbie

Outside the box--into a square

Pondering this too, but both the shaggy & radtech are silly money. 3M packs of microfiber towels are under 10 bucks, simply trim to size.

I'm going with a quality, hand-rolled pocket square from Kent_Wang. I shop there anyway. Superb style--appreciated by all gentlemen & the best women. Better still, - a spare pocket square will always be a fabulous thing to share. Share one at the office, airport or kawfee haus & make a solid friend.

A bit outside & it'll have to be folded-over, but imperfect is better than perfect, right? Vintage material or fat quarters from Etsy would also prove groovy.

*A paying shopper--no KW affiliation.

8. thread starter macrumors member

The thing is I get contact points from the keys that are visible on the screen when I open it up. I wasn't worried about scratches or anything, just about the marks the keyboard was making on the screen when the lid was closed.

I'll look at the cloths linked here and probably choose one of those, thanks.

9. macrumors 6502a

I hear this a lot, but every Apple laptop I've ever had, from the 5300cs to the Powerbook G3, Powerbook G4, and now the MacBook Pro print the outline of the keyboard on the screen when they're packed in a backpack.

They may be designed not to touch the screen when closed, but any pressure against the clamshell will cause the keyboard to touch the screen.

10. macrumors 65816

akdj

Mr Sir is correct. It's (or should be...see comments below, a non-issue).
    If you are that concerned, just hang on to the paper/cloth that Apple delivers your laptop with...works great...until you realize, again, it's a non-issue:)

One thing that's always nice to carry with you in your computer case, pocket or purse is a micro fibre cloth...you can get 'em anywhere, non abrasive and do an excellent chance...even dry, to dust or clean the screen. I recommend either iKlear (I believe, sp?) or the "Monster" LCD cleaning kit...BOTH of which come with a cleaning solution and a collection of different M/F cloths to use. As well, if you own an iMac, they have excellent cloths that you can also use for your MB/MBP/MBA. They may also fit between when closed, albeit you won't close it all the way...and could cause more damage than it prevents...again, see below

What in the world are you transporting your laptop in? Are you 'crushing' or 'smashing' it together with other items? Books, chargers, etc? Always good to use a sleeve, or laptop case for transport that includes 'cushioned' protection between the computer and other storage necessities. IE; chargers, pens and pencils, books and notes and yada, yada...you get the idea. In typical, everyday transport...there should be NO reason to get key marks on your screen...it's been several years since I've seen that issue and none of them on the couple dozen "Apple" laptops we've owned over the past decade (we run an all Mac business), I've YET to see any kind of keyboard imprint (other than the usual dust that builds up) that can't easily be wiped (typically dry) from the screen.

Sorry...don't mean to come of flippant or to talk down to you. We all have BUSY lives..especially those of us that rely on the laptop as a real workhorse and they TRULY are mobile devices. I empathize...I carry BOTH a 17" MBP and an 11" Air with an iPad2 everywhere I go...we run an A/V production company...and it's necessary to have all three tools on site, all the time. I've found very efficient ways to carry the gear...and avoid damage:) If you need more insight, please send me a P/M;)

Again...not sure how you're transporting, see above. And I'll admit, I didn't transition back to Apple until the release of Intel Procs...so the earlier 'ClamShell' design may have been different...although, I don't see many complaints on Google Search for this issue...if anything, Apple (and other laptop/Read: PC Manufacturers) have been WELL aware of this for quite some time. The display is a relatively expensive fix...and if indeed there were scratching issues on a specific model, it would seem the outcry would be significant.

My conclusion (we have 9 laptops in the field right now--4 Airs, 3 MBPs, and 2 older PowerBook G4 15"ers for P2 offload in the PCMICA slot--a proprietary Panasonic video storage card--and Sony's SxS--)...don't worry about a screen protector. Your computer is built to use. Use it.

J

11. Rampant.A.I., Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

In the InCase backpack sold by Apple.

Just sharing my experiences, since they line up with the experiences of the OP--the keyboard definitely touches the screen with pressure on the clamshell. It's not going to cause permanent marks like it did on my G3 if you have a glossy screen, but I'm not sure about the antiglare.

I know they did widen the gap between the KB and the display on the G4 Powerbooks, and even a little more on the MacBook Pros. Still, with the clamshell being as thin as it is, it still flexes under pressure.

Scratches I'm not worried about, I babied the display for a year until I just started wiping it clean with a shirtsleeve or whatever I had available for the last two, and no scratches yet.

But the finger oils/keyboard transfer is annoying. ;)

12. macrumors 604

Tell me, those of you who are experiencing finger oil etc from the keys reach their screen... Is it only happening with 15"/17" laptops, or is it also happening with 13" Airs/Pros?

I know its a far fetched theory, but since the screen is bigger (and therefore bendier and weaker) on 15"/17" laptops it might be subject to being depressed (pushed down) by other objects while in transit, making it touch the keys.

13. macrumors 6502a

Doesn't sound far fetched at all... But the 5300 series laptops had 10.4" displays, and screen marring from finger oil was a widely reported problem. it took Apple until the G4 series to increase the gap, but it makes sense larger displays will flex more and print more.

I'm using a 17" UMBP just for reference.

14. thread starter macrumors member

I have a sleeve that I put my MBA in and normally only carry that. I'm gentle with it and don't throw it around or transport it with other items. I'm not worried about scratching of any kind, because there isn't any lateral movement of the screen or the laptop base, but I do get oil on the screen from the keys.

And it isn't like I'm getting an imprint of the entire key on the screen, it actually is just the tips/corners of the keys, so where there is contact you end up seeing something like this on the screen.
    Code:
    .     .  .     .  .     .

.     .  .     .  .     .

If that makes any sense. I'll try to take a picture at some point since some people seem to be in disbelief. It isn't happening all over the screen either, and I don't think it is a build defect or whatever, just something I'd like to prevent and the cloths linked earlier in the thread will hopefully do that.

I have a 13" Air and I have imprints on the screen. Again, like I said above, the MBA goes into a sleeve and is transferred alone, no going into other bags or anything like that.

15. macrumors 604

Weird, because I have a 13" MacBook Pro which I transport the same way and it doesn't get anything like that...

16. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

I got a photodon screen protector for my MBA. Very happy with it so far.

17. thread starter macrumors member

How thick is it? Does it make the screen end up flush with the bezel? And what about color distortion?

18. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

It's pretty thin... .006" thick. See here for exact specs: http://www.photodon.com/p/MXH-3540-02.html

No, the screen is still far from flush with the bezel. It's hardly different than stock.

Photodon is known for their photography products, and they take color correctness seriously. I got the "HD Anti-Glare" version, and it is not much more anti-glare than stock. That being said, the color is also unaffected as far as I can tell.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, I don't calibrate my display, and I am not a computer artist who would might have an eye for that sort of thing.