best security software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bdugan, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    i was wondering what everyone thought the best security software is? i dont want any virus's and i was wondering what product to buy.

2. rye9 macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2005
    New York (not NYC)
    If you use a Mac, no security software is needed! That's only one of the beauties of a Mac. :)
  3. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    rye9 is correct for the most part. If you would like to have a piece of mind incase anything does happen, especially if you are on an Intel, pick up a copy of Virex by McAffee or Symanec. Not sure if they have universals yet though. :confused:
  4. JoanSoto macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2011
    hi ...
    nice topic to discuss.
    the best security software depends on that what type of work you are doing with your also depends on the type of system you are using.
  5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

Sep 15, 2010
    Hamburg, Germany
    as has been said, you don't need AV on Mac. if you regularly exchange files with winsloth users, you may, out of courtesy, install one of the least intrusive AV apps for Mac (many recommend ClamXav) lest you pass an infected file on. steer clear of symantec - it will do more harm than good !

there are currently no viruses that can affect your Mac.

use decent surfing habits, use WPA2 with a long, non-dictionary password made up of letters and numbers to protect your network, and go easy on 3rd party apps.