Best SIP provider for Fring VoIP calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dre325, Nov 6, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I've been using Fring for IM, but want to get it working with VoIP via a SIP account. What service do you all use for this? All I want to do is be able to make calls from the USA to the USA for free. I don't care about international calling. I don't want to use SkypeOut because it's not free from my understanding.

What's the best option? I've heard of voipstunt and voipbuster and voipcheap and the others that Fring has pre-loaded, but they all have restrictions on free minutes it looks like. There has to be a good free solution out there. Any feedback would be VERY much appreciated.

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

So nobody is using VoIP to make free calls on their iPhone using Fring (to save cellular minutes)? Somebody out there has to have some decent feedback on a good SIP provider...

3. macrumors newbie

Tried it

I recently used Fring at an airport. The quality was just ok. However, more importantly, I was dropping calls a lot while using it. I would say over a 15 min conversation - the call was dropped 3 times.

Waiting to see if updates will help....

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

MacCoCo, what SIP provider did you use? I'm trying to save myself time by finding some good recommendations rather than having to sign up for a bunch of services and trying them all out myself. I haven't heard of people having a lot of success with any provider so far (as far as call quality, delay, dropped calls), but any further feedback you can provide would be great.

5. macrumors newbie

VoIP provider I use with Fring

I have been using Fring on iPhone for about a month now. My SIP provider is Future-nine (F9).
    I had to pay $15 to start my account with Paypal ($10 if you use Google to pay).

F9 offers three leveles of service:
    Pay As You Go
    - .01/min in USA/Canada
    - Incoming Calls - FREE
    - Local Phone # - $5/mo
    - Voice Mail - included (With email notification. You don't miss message when Fring is not running)

Bare Essenials ($7/mo)
    - Unlimited USA/Canada call
    - Incoming Calls - FREE
    - Local phone # - included (upon request)
    - Voice Mail - included (With email notification. You don't miss message when Fring is not running)
    - 250 min International calls

America Free ($13.5/mo)
    - Unlimited USA/Canada call
    - Incoming Calls - FREE
    - Local Phone # - included
    - Upto 3000 min International calls

For more info you can goto the website http://future-nine.com.

Customer support is by email. But they are prompt with their replies.

I am in the process of do some technical tests of both Fring & F9 over wifi in different location in my area.
    So far I have run into 3 problems:
    1) The hearers of my calls hear a 3-5 second delayed echo.
    2) Fring's keypad does not work DURING a call. (They told me this will be worked on in an update.)
    3) Frequent dropped calls on network with download 1200 kb/s, upload 300 kb/s speed.

As far as I can tell these are all from Fring not F9.

I hope this was useful.

6. macrumors 6502

Give up its not worth it

Fring Sucks. I have tried everything to get it to work. Using skype and a couple sip servers. I need it for international calling. Its not worth the head-ake. I wish i had the hours of time waited with this awful program back. Just give up. I got really pissed and wrote a rant about why i hate fring a little while back if you care to read. Hopefully icall comes out soon and actually works.

7. macrumors newbie

Good sip provider

Wannacheap has turned out to work quite well for me.

Good quality and good prices to terminate worldwide.

works well with 3G

8. macrumors member

Good question! Is there a free SIP providor for USA calls?

9. macrumors newbie

--

I think the best way to go is Ozeki Phone System XE. Easy to manage, very flexible and reliable.