Best sleeves/cases for the Pb (not bags)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sundance Kid, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

I know there has probably been a number of these threads, but we should have one that addresses this problem dirctly, so as to save time for potential laptop buyers. This could be made a sticky.

What are the best sleeves/cases for the pb? Please give your answer with a detailed acount of why you think so and the size of your pb. Every recommendation counts. :) I'm sure this would be very helpful to everyone.

cheers,
    Sundance kid

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

There is a HUGE list of these!
    Try:
    PowerSleevz
    or Google:
    Tucano Second Skin Sleeves

Anyone know a similar product for te pismo? I really want one?!

3. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

4. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

SFBags is the way to go

I thoroughly agree with Pismo. Their products are fantastic. Ironically, the first product I purchased was a sleeve for my dear Pismo (my laptop; not the forum person). It is amazing how the company has expanded since then (only sold sleeves I believe).

5. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

LOL. So far the Sf bags look like they are the best. Do they have shock resistance? If i drop my laptop with it on would it be ok?
    Are the waterproof?

6. grubber macrumors newbie

I have the Tucano Second skin for my 12" Pb, and I like it. It's neoprene, which feels really cool. It's not very rigid, so you wouldn't want to use it to protect against drops, and it doesn't have a handle. But, if you just want something to stick in your backpack, then this works great.

7. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Anyone know a good hard shell for the powerbook 12"?

I am backpacking through New Zealand and I am going to have my lil' book with me. I need some sort of shell for it.

Anyone know of good place and a good looking bag?

Cheers.

8. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I'm partial to timbuk2 sleeves. I haul my 15" TiBook around with me every day. Also have one for my gf's iBook. I've had this thing for 28 months and it still looks new. Good luck.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Tucano Sleeves are the way to go.

They offer *no* added bulk to the PB (practically), are inexpensive, good-looking, easy. They're the best out there. I've purchased 2 so far, and perhaps a third (If I end up trading).

10. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i agree with the timbut2 sleeves. ive had mine for a few years, it started with my 12" iBook G3 and now on to my 12" PB. three years of abuse from a college student (me) throwing it in my bag, biking to and from class and all the time my i/p books have been in perfect condition, even with a couple of bumps and drops. you can hardly tell there has been any ware on the bag itsself. i know the new sleeves are a little different than the one i have, but they should still be just as good!

First of all, most hard cases mean extra weight, something you DONT want while backpacking!!! not to mention what are you going to do with a laptop while backpacking, plug it into a tree?!!!! or are you backpacking from city to city and staying in hotels, that my be a letitimate reason to bring a laptop. either way, id consider a soft case because it will weigh less and be more flexible to be loaded in your pack easier. not to mention a good nylon case should provide a little water resistance more than a hard case. but if you really want a good hard case check this one out, its the MacTruck by RadTech.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx

its expensive but it will get the job done!!!! just look at the picture in this review!!

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0408/rev.mactruck.html

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I like Incase sleeves. I've had one for a year and a half and am still impressed by its quality. It's got handles for carrying, and a detachable shoulder strap which comes in handy every once in awhile.

http://www.goincase.com/

12. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Another recommendation for WaterField designs (sfbags.com). You don't know quality until you've seen this thing. I wouldn't put my PowerBook in anything else. And very comfortable.

13. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

So far the sf bags look the best. Padded, sturdy and have hard plastic embeded in them. I think i'll buy one of those! ;)

14. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I haven't got any personal experience, but I've been thinking about getting a sleeve and backpack for my Powerbook, and Booq's sleeves look really good.

http://www.booqbags.com/

I'm definitely going to be buying a 2006 BoaXL backpack (I've got a 17" Powerbook) but I'm trying to decide between a Powersleeve17 or a VyperXL case.

The VyperXL looks like a great case to just chuck in a bag, but when I don't want to take a whole bag with me, it's not really designed to be taken on its own. The Powersleeve17 on the otherhand can just be used on its own, but it looks like it's less padded, and won't go in another bag as easily. (they're both designed to fit into the backpack though)

I hope this doesn't look like I'm trying to hijack the thread; just suggesting two different ones to look at, a bit of information on them, and my opinion.

15. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I would suggest the Crumpler School Hymn. They are quite light actually but are rigid on the outside and soft on the inside.

School Hymn

16. fozy macrumors member

Timbuk2

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=2

While any neoprene skin would protect your PB from scratches and some moisture repellency a timbuk2 sleave would provide much more padding and are incredibly durable and well designed (these guys made their first products for bike messengers and more likely were the messengers). Another benefit is they don't scream computer bag to likely thieves though the their popularity in the US is growing which may redifine their convention.