Best Smart Phone - Sprint

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jessep28, Jan 25, 2007.

?

What is best Smart Phone for Sprint users?

1. Treo 700p

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Blackberry 8703e

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Moto Q

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Treo 700wx

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other - Please Explain Below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

I am looking to purchase a smart phone. IPhone is out of picture due to contract obligations until mid-2008. Thank you!

2. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

And possibly longer. No one knows for sure, but I highly doubt Apple is going to go CDMA just for its US customers. It's an international company now, and they'll go with the international standard, GSM. They'll go unlocked or T-Mobile before they go Verizon or Sprint.

Oh, and the contract obligations are until mid-2009. "Multi-year" agreement is 2 or more years, 2007 + 2 years = 2009.

As for the best Sprint smartphone, that's your personal preference. I've used all of them. I did not like the PPC-6700 because the thing is freakin' huge, but some of my friends love the thing. It's a PDA first, phone second. Meanwhile, both Palms are designed to be phones first, PDAs second. That means expect less capability PDA-wise (no Wifi, Bluetooth 1.2, etc.) and more ease-of-use phone wise (tap a button and you can call a number).

I'd highly recommend the Treo 700p, then the Treo 700wx as a secondary. You can sync very easily for free using Palm's Hotsync software to your Address Book and iCal. If you go the 700wx route, you'll have to purchase a $40 program called "The Missing Sync" from Mark/Space.

Also, you can use both the 700p and 700wx has wireless modems. So, instead of getting a PC/ExpressCard from Sprint, you can simply plug in your Treo via the USB cable and connect to the internet. You get the same EV-DO speeds as an ExpressCard. You have to pay Sprint an extra $15/mo. for that, but it's better than getting a whole new line of service with a card at $50-$70/mo. It's a really great feature that sold me on getting a Palm.

Hope that helps...

NoClever

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

don't know about best but least sucky the 700p. Just a note I've never loved a phone for a considerable amount of time. Windows phones are just sluggish.

4. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

I chuckled after reading your post. :D

Yes, they all suck, but the one that sucks the least is the Treo 700p. Purely because it's got the easiest interface (the Garnet OS) and is the friendliest with Macs (sync software, mounting capability, wireless modem, etc.).

5. vniow macrumors G4

I'm a fan of the 6700. I have the Verizon version and the only real complaint is that its not an iPhone.

6. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

Well, I renewed contract in 06, so saying I can get around the BS Sprint likes to pull of renewing your contract when you activate no-contract phones you bought off of eBay then I have until 2008.

Plus, I would wait for the next iPhone revision before I even considered it. Allow the technology to progress like with the iPods after they first came out.

I hate all cell phone companies. But that's another rant another day.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Isn't that one of the only Verizon phones that has wifi? I looked into it, but they were ~$300 without contract (eBay) so I decided against it. Maybe if they drop to 200 sometime soon.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This thread has my attention too. Any Q owners out there? I am curious about your experience with Sprint.

Exactly how do you know the terms of his contract? He could already have a contract with Sprint and simply be looking to upgrade his phone, like myself. You don't have to extend your contract with a new phone, you just pay more for the phone.

9. vniow macrumors G4

One of two with wi-fi I think. A quick search on eBay showed prices closer to $200 though. Didn't say anything about a contract..

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have a Treo 650 and my Dad has a 6700.

I really don't like his at all. I can't use it one handed first off. Which drives me crazy. His screen isn't as readable/nice as mine.

He's a windows guy though - so that is what he wanted.

I obviously voted for the 700p :D

11. Maynerd macrumors regular

I have a Treo 700p and I just got a Mac what's the best software for using my treo with my mac?

I hear that missing sync is very good. Any thoughts?

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I just use iSync with my 650. I guess it depends on what you need to sync, you can go to TreoCentral.com and check out the Mac forum for more info!!

As for apps - i couldn't function without Handyshopper (Free!!!).

13. laravia18 macrumors member

WOW I was just thinking the same question OP

I was looking for a new phone for Sprint as well but I wanted a PDA phone this time, but most of them are for Windows and they all absolutely suck, so it's just finding which one sucks the least.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was really interested in replacing my last phone with the Treo 700p but the price at the time was still incredibly high.

PalmOS was really stable for me on my handheld and I've heard nearly nothing but problems from WinCE/PocketPC/Windows Mobile owners.

15. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

I have always had problems fully utilizing PDA's - having bought three over the years and quickly selling/giving them away.

I think a smart phone would be the best of both worlds. Granted the trade off is that they are large and cumbersome to carry around.

16. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28

You are correct. I have a current contract with Sprint which began in 06. I have until April of 08.

17. macbookprouser macrumors member

18. jessep28 thread starter macrumors 6502

jessep28