Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
since the pearl is gsm.. will it work with everything just as well with a cingular sim card? i.e. blackberry connect and text messaging plan from cingular eventhough its a tmobile phone?

If it's locked to T-mobile, your cingular card won't work. You'll have to get it unlocked first.

FaziBear

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
Audiovox 2125, best smartphone...guarenteed. I know at least 25 people who have it...its microsofts phone of choice to give to employees and living in seattle ALL my friends are microsoft people...and not ONE of them has anything but incredibly positive things to say about the phone...and personally, Ive owned my fair share...treo..moto and let me just say that i am not going to be switching any time soon!

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
The 650 is still the best smartphone for me. To solve the volume issue just install Volume Care, its really good.

Glad to see there's someone out there who likes the 650. I've ordered one that I should be getting in the next day or two - I couldn't see any other phone that would have suited my needs, as I have to have one running Palm OS in order to transfer my old files in that format, and I didn't want to have a separate Palm and phone again.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm on to my 4th smartphone as of yesterday: the Motorola A1200 MING.
So far, its amazing, everything I had hoped itd be and more. The only thing I'm missing is a way to connect to my Mac. Once this issue is solved, I'll be more than content. :)

Once this issue is solved? If it doesn't sync with my Mac, it's useless to me and would mean it's not amazing or anything. It wouldn't even do what I want to do, entirely.

I'd think any mobile that can sync with the Mac is a better smartphone, no? :confused:

NextTuesday

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I personally recommend a Nokia S60 device such as the Nokia N80 or, moreso, the Nokia N73 that also packs a fantastic camera (as far as phones go). Symbian is just so versatile and easy to use, and S60 3rd Edition is the best yet.

I don't anymore. This is my 4th S60 Nokia [N70] and the software is slow and buggy the Music Player app stopped working for about 2 months and after 540 pictures in my gallery it doesn't show thumb's or the pictures after clicking on them. It could be the large amount of pictures I have but my last S60 device wasn't like this [6680]

I'm looking at the Palm Treo 750v (The Treo for us over here in Europe-land) except it doesn't have WiFi which is something I'd like to see in a phone.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Glad to see there's someone out there who likes the 650. I've ordered one that I should be getting in the next day or two - I couldn't see any other phone that would have suited my needs, as I have to have one running Palm OS in order to transfer my old files in that format, and I didn't want to have a separate Palm and phone again.

Should have waited for the recently announced 680... :rolleyes:

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Once this issue is solved? If it doesn't sync with my Mac, it's useless to me and would mean it's not amazing or anything. It wouldn't even do what I want to do, entirely.

I'd think any mobile that can sync with the Mac is a better smartphone, no? :confused:

I think once you get your contacts onto the phone, the only thing to sync is really the calendar, no? And since I'm not so busy I can't just look at my cal in the morning and know what Im doing, its not really a problem for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to find a way to sync my phone to my mac, but I don't see it being a huge problem.

The reason have a smartphone is the email and internet access mainly.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Should have waited for the recently announced 680... :rolleyes:

I should add that I wanted it on a UK contract, and I wanted the phone for free. That's what I got, and I somehow doubt I could get a newly-introduced model under those conditions.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
check out this flip phone I just found... its called the samsung t719.. its a thin flip phone with a suretype qwerty keyboard and blackberry connect! I think its exactly what ive been looking for. The only problem is that the cingular 3125 is supposed to get a little bit better reception and phone call quality, but I guess you have to sacrifice some thing for other things.

samsung t719 http://www.samsung.com/Products/MobilePhones/T_Mobile/SGH_T719DSBTMB.asp

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
check out this flip phone I just found... its called the samsung t719.. its a thin flip phone with a suretype qwerty keyboard and blackberry connect! I think its exactly what ive been looking for. The only problem is that the cingular 3125 is supposed to get a little bit better reception and phone call quality, but I guess you have to sacrifice some thing for other things.

samsung t719 http://www.samsung.com/Products/MobilePhones/T_Mobile/SGH_T719DSBTMB.asp

Looks good except that screen looks tiny. I wonder how navagation is on it as well...

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I'll give you the best smartphone...
iSsociateAd.jpg

(why not?)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd recommend the N80 but the fact that i dumped it to go back to my Treo says something. Its a nice phone but the S60 software is just not *together*, it's slooooow and syncing with a Mac is not perfect and requires some extra work.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I think you're going to be hardpressed to find WiFi on a phone with good call quality thats not the size of a brick or hideous.
My T-Mobile MDA looks better than any Treo or Crackberry and I've had no problems whatsoever with it. It has Windows Mobile 2005 over Nokia's less impressive OS (further, it's evidently compatible with the new CE6, but we'll see whether or not we get any sort of firmware upgrade), good WiFi and cellular quality. It also has a backlit keyboard, stylus storage, and an easy-access memory card slot.

Also, after dropping it two or three times, I can vouch that it's quite sturdy (though the stylus has a tendency to fly out like a missile and hide in the grass).

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
The Treo line is utter crap--I've had the 600 and 650 and they suck--bad.

I'll be getting a Crackberry in a month or so.

My friend has a Treo 700wx and it's been great so far. Call reception is great and the video camera is fairly good. But we're 13 so we have different standards. Usually.

Best of all worlds: Nokia E61/E62!

I've had mine for a few months now and love it. Great syncing with a mac and has all the good features like a blackberry. And its way sleeker than the treo!

Mmm.. I'm really wanting an E61 so I can browse like mad in bed or whererver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.