Best Social Networking Software

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by deadfrog, Mar 20, 2007.

1. deadfrog macrumors regular

Sep 5, 2004
    UK / Bournemouth

Im looking into creating an Alumni site for the university I am working at, and am thinking basing it around some kind of social networking software. I do have a limited budget so dont want to commision a software devleoper, however, I wouldnt mind paying some money for it.

Although I have experience with computers, flash and html, I have no knowledge of php or mysql, so the less I have to do that side the better.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these softwares?

I've tried doing some research but, I cant seem to draw any conclusions from it.

Any comments would be most welcome.

2. Britanium macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
    Why not just create a group in a pre-existing social network, like FaceBook?
  3. weyq2havfun macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2008
    Whatever you do, DO NOT USE WEB SCRIBBLE SOLUTIONS. They have junk for software and we ordered it took almost 48 hrs to get then all the bugs and page and links not working. Their support don't know what they are doing, and with one problem told our programmer to use a 777 code on the php which would have open the site up for security risk. They will not refund our money and with all the mods we purchased we are out 672.00. Make sure any software comes with a money back warranty. Please let anyone know that is thinking of buy dating or social networking not to use these crooks. If someone wants more info I will be glad to give my e-mail. I am not pushing any scripts, I am not a competitor, just someone that got ripped off. We are looking for good software.
    Good luck
  4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2008
    If you are serious about starting your own social network, I would recommend looking for a programmer. Buying a script will not meet all your needs and is only a fix for a short term solution. If you want long term, custom is the way to go.
  5. young shiz macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    have you thought about ning? It's pretty popular for social networking sites. Its somewhat generic but its usable imo. I know its what 50 Cent and Asher Roth use for their sites.
  6. ncmason macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2007
    PHP is the back-ends for creating "social networking" apps. It's your call. Better to be prepared than not.
  7. montanachad macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2008
    Helena, Montana and Lacey, Washington
    I went to a Ning Website and was surprised how much better it was than MySpace or Tagged. Just my opinion though.
  8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Everything is better than Myspace...
  9. montanachad macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2008
    Helena, Montana and Lacey, Washington
    Yeah, MySpace is developed with Cold Fusion and is slow, not to mentioned it's owned by Fox (at least that's what I heard).
  10. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2008
    Wellington, New Zealand

Look into putting together a site with the Drupal content management engine.

Drupal is open source and has a large, stable developer community. It is specifically designed as "community plumbing" and has many extensions that will give you the type of social networking features you need.

80 - 90% of what you want to do will likely be plug and play. Extending and theming drupal is done with PHP.

It is not hard to find web developers with Drupal experience that you can hire.

Why spend the time to write a custom solution when you can extend a open source framework that is secure, tested, and has a huge team of developers making constant improvements?
  11. Daringescape macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    I agree with lucidmedia

Drupal is a great way to go.

here is an example of a social news site built with Drupal:

I know the developer, if youd like I can put you in touch with him.
  12. jansan macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2008
    I checked out the site and it is exactly what i need for my private site, so i would greatly appreciate if your offer to the above member would also be offered to me.

13. weldon macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2004
    Denver, CO
    If you're familiar with WordPress, I think the new BuddyPress might be worth checking out too.
  14. riyasin123 macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2014
    Are you looking social networking software like facebook or twitter?
  15. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Feb 8, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Six years later, I'm guessing they got it taken care of.