best software for mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mingspace, Oct 25, 2006.

1. mingspace macrumors member

Of course software is dependent on what you need it for but what do you think are the best programs for mac? Here's my list...

Design:
    Adobe Creative Suite 2.3 (Photoshop, illustrator, imageready, etc)

Web:
    Adobe Flash Professional 8
    Adobe "Part of Studio 8"
    Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
    Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional

Video:
    Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio

Music:
    Logic Pro 7
    GarageBand
    Toast 7 Titanium

Utilities:
    Norton Antivirus 10 for Macintosh
    Parallels

2. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

3. mingspace thread starter macrumors member

Not necessary?

4. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

You don't need Norton for a Mac.

I don't even understand why Norton even makes an Antivirus for Mac.

If your using Parallels or Boot Camp, you may need a antivirus. There is a free antivirus software called AVG Antivirus, and works fine for me.

But on a Mac there is no need...

5. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Norton Antivirus is the best F'Utility. It surely deserves a new definition in the dictionary - the F word among the software. :D

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

DO NOT INSTALL NORTON ON YOUR MAC!!! :eek:

It will seriously spanner it up.

Also there is no need to install it as there are no viruses for OSX.

As for your question. You are going to get a million different answers because people use their macs for different things.

YAY! 1000 posts for me! :D

7. Queso macrumors G4

n00b ;)

Back on topic, for me it has to be the iLife suite, with RapidWeaver tagged onto the side. Photoshop (obviously), but that's not really a "Mac" app as it exists in it's own ecosystem.

And OmniGraffle I use one hell of a lot and love. Makes Visio look a bit poo :)

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Intaglio for a drawing application - there is nothing as good in the PC world.

9. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

10. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you may as well get Macromedia Studio, since it has Dreamweaver and Flash.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Not true. If you haven't noticed, more people are switching to Macs.

Which means more virus programmers.

You should have virus protection for your Mac, as no OS is 100% safe.(Although you do have a point, you shouldn't install norton.)

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

People use norton to scan files that will be passed on to windows computers for viruses. E.g. I have a word doument with a virus on it that does not affect my OS, but I don't want to send it to my PC that will get ruined with yet another virus.

13. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

Not Necessary

'Not true. If you haven't noticed, more people are switching to Macs.

Which means more virus programmers.'

I counter: A good designed OS does not need a virus checker at all.

And even if, it is Apple (not Norton or whoever) who has the responsibility to keep the OS safe, any slight possibility of an attack is easily prevented because Apple should and is able to repair the code very quickly, because of clean and structural/moduled coding.

Windows does need a virus checker, because of spaghetti code and a structural wrong design. ( registry, DirectX, wrong permissions. seperation user and system files etc. ). ( In the area of security Vista will be huge improvement over XP )

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats what they said about XP over '98, I love OSX, and am not and never have been a linux user, but I honestly believe that, although it is not as good as OSX for my needs now, it will in the coming years become the default operating system, partly for security reasons.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's the theory, and it may not be a bad one. But there is a big problem.

None, I repeat none, of the malware scanners for OS X have proven themselves to be effective against OS X-targeted malware. There simply isn't much of anything out there to test it with. We won't know which, if any, of these companies will effectively deal with OS X malware unless and until there is something real to catch.

A scanner is a good idea for checking files headed out to Windows users so you don't unintentionally pass something along, but that's about it for the time being.

16. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

While on the subject of viruses, I don't run any AV and really don't want to. Is this a poor decision on my part? Should I run some sort of AV to protect PC users? Why should I install software that isn't needed, but is mandatory software installation after installing Windows for them. If they run a decent AV, then they shouldn't worry. You forgot a page layout program such as Quark or InDesign. AppleWorks is good for many things. No mention of Camino browser (Mac only), much better than Firefox or Safari. There is no 'best', every app has its pros and cons. Every user is different, there specfic needs, the way they interact with their computer, their preferences to how things are done in the application, the list could on. It is personal preference; myself I can't stand Macromedia software. I like Adobe apps, I know Macromedia was bought by Adobe, maybe they can fix it so it is more user friendly. See, opinions and needs will be infinite. It's like asking what is the best car, or best DVD player, or any other product.

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So now everyone should now install Norton for Macintosh?

Wow... this thread should be wastelanded for being the 40 billionth on the subject that isn't even worth discussing anyway

18. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

$$$$

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

OK people heres the thing about Norton

It slows down everything to check every little bit of file and network activity, probably makes your computer less secure, all for the sake of protecting other people's PCs. Why would anybody want to waste their money on a piece of garbage utility to protect your computer from something you can't get?

Your basically installing antivirus software on your Macintosh to protect your friends that are too lazy or cheap to put antivirus on their PCs.

20. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm rather smitten with Little Snitch, it took me a while to like it, now I can't live without it.

21. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I couldn't imagine ever putting Norton on a Mac

I've used Norton AV off and on since starting with my 286 PC - and always found it messed everything up - about 5 years ago troubleshooting on a friends machine (and to cut a long story short) - Norton's was the issue.

Ever since .mac stopped their antivirus service a couple of years ago now - I've used ClamXav - just to ease my mind - I know I don't 'need' it. Hardly ever use it - when I do - my system is clean.

Best software for Mac (my bit):

#1 Merlin (couldn't manage my projects without it
    #2 Mindmap (so handy during various stages of a project, thesis, etc)
    #3 Notebook (I use this to store all my qualitative data - it has this word count facility I think it under-realised)
    #4 iMove / QT (I really love these 2 little apps - I'm able to convert my presentations into containable movies for presentations without having to spend all my time playing with the software. In my area - it's all about the work itself - not the technology you use to show it.
    #5 Keynote (for the above reason too)
    #6 Endnote (not the best - but use it everyday and couldn't work/live without it)
    #7 Contribute (managing websites in coordination with .mac couldn't be easier)

22. RacerX macrumors 65832

True, no OS is 100% safe... but you should really consider the relative danger of viruses on Macs.

For example, more Mac users have been struck by lightning in the last 5 years than have had their Mac OS X systems infected with viruses. By contrast, a Windows user is more likely to get a virus than get rained on.

So in the scheme of things, Mac users should be more careful of thunder storms than computer viruses... and Windows users should buy (and continuously update) antivirus software before considering carrying an umbrella. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Back to the subject at hand... I personally love Create and OmniWeb. Before any of those other software companies were making software for Mac OS X, their was Create and OmniWeb.

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Some software I like:
    iSquint
    Handbrake
    Mactracker
    Adobe Photoshop
    Transmission
    Azureus

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Quicksilver
    CyberDuck
    Quicksilver
    GraphicConverter (I'm a pro :D )
    ScrollSwitcher (for double scroll arrows top and bottom)
    Quicksilver
    TransparentDock (a little treat)
    NeoOffice (serves my needs perfectly, for free)
    Synergy

And Quicksilver ;)

25. mac4evan macrumors member

EyeTV 2
    MacTheRipper
    iSquint
    Toast
    Speed Download
    QT, MPlayer, VLC
    iWeb
    FCP
    iDVD/DSP (Depends on how much time I have)

So much great software to talk/think about:D