Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Can someone advise what is the best software for protecting passsword,credit cards noes,bank accounr number and password.....etc.Is there such a software and what does it call.I need it for my macbook.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Try "Keychain Access" which comes with your MacBook. It also integrates with Safari etc. for the passwords.

tribal

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Try "Keychain Access" which comes with your MacBook. It also integrates with Safari etc. for the passwords.

I can't locate it under teh application.may i know where can i locate that.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
keychain access is in applications, in subfolder utilities

i find it a bit counter intuitive but it works great. i have all my passwords in it because it's encrypted in case you lose you're MBP.

hiltmon

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2004
You could also use...

You could also use Yojimbo, it has forms for all this, plus serials and other things. It also syncs to .Mac so if your computer is stolen, you do not lose any passwords.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Yeah, as for free, Keychain Access is the one to beat.
I use MacJournal because I have it already. The thing you have to remember though is that 128bit encryption with a "regular" password is crackable within a very short time these days. 256bit with a "hard" password at least gives you the security that only the government will be able to read your data within a reasonable time frame. All depends on your needs.
Another option is to create a text file and store it within an encrypted image.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Try iSafe.

My preference is with creating an encrypted disk image and storing text files inside it. For extra security, you can zip the text files using encryption themselves. All needs for the paranoid served. :)

System-wide FileVault could be a no-stress option for you.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
iSafe looks good but iProtecter looks even better. As soon as i get out of school im getting it on my mac. Thanks for the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.