Best software to clean my Mac HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacGiver, Apr 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

What would you recommend me?

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Ummhh... Please be more specific. Do you want to completely wipe it? Or just an app that looks for unneeded files and deleted caches etc?

3. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Assuming you don't want to wipe it, Onyx or CleanMyMac.

4. macrumors 65816

Patrick J

For cleaning up your mac, I recommend Clean My Mac (here, or here): Apart from cleaning temporary caches and log files, it slims Universal Binaries and trashes application's unneeded languages (which you choose).

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am looking for a free software to cleam my HD and free up some capacity, remove useless stuff, etc...

6. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

7. macrumors newbie

Daisydisk is a free app that will tell you what folders and files are taking up the most space on your HD. You can then review and delete as appropriate.

Hope this helps.

8. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

CleanMyMac has been very problematic for many users. Search the forums. If you decide to use it, tread carefully.
    I wouldn't touch CleanMyMac with a ten foot pole myself.

9. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed! One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

10. macrumors 601

satcomer

I used Yasu for years and it always works since this program only runs built-in cleaning scripts to OS X.

11. macrumors newbie

I like Apple's Onyx.

Sweet features!

12. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Do NOT use CleanMyMac. It ruined my OS X install. Whether it has improved since then, I have no idea, but I still wouldn't trust it.

I just don't bother with these HD cleaning tools. I find OS X sorta looks after itself, and the more you fill the HD, the less it seems to take with temporary files.

13. Rowf, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011

macrumors regular

From what I've read 'round the net mac's pretty much take care of themselves and as far as space issues go, external drives are pretty cheap now.
    As long as you know how to keep your browser cleaned down of all the chaff it picks up on the net, and providing your system is running o.k, I wouldn't have thought that any kind of maintenance program is really necessary.
    Running Windows Vista used to require a weekly maintenance schedule to keep it running sweet (as sweet as it got, anyway)
    I've had the macbook 4 months now and maintenance seems pretty non-existent and it runs fine (is that tempting fate?)