Best software to draw schematics?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Squilly, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I have an idea for a business and am working on drawing out the schematics of it before going further. Is there a good program to do it? C4D, photoshop, illustrator?

2. macrumors 601

cambookpro

Pencil and paper.

Only after then think about doing it digitally - I'd personally recommend OmniGraffle, as it's fairly powerful but easy to use and should do the diagrams you want.

3. macrumors member

As the above poster said, I would start with pencil and paper. Then I would probably move to some sort of CAD software. Although you could possibly do it in PS or AI, CAD is going to be the best to work in. It will be in 3D and give you the best options for output when you need to print drafts or make a mock-up with a 3D printer. I believe things like that need to be made using vector programs, so you might as well forget PS.

4. macrumors member

Omnigaffle - snaps, distributes etc...., flowcharts are great.

5. macrumors 601

cambookpro

I think all he wants is to create a business plan if you will, so I don't think 3D is required.

I imagine Squilly was envisaging something like what I attached.

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

No, not a business plan. Schematics for the product. Like this: http://www.frankdoor.com/products/images/e_swing_bp.jpg

7. macrumors 601

cambookpro

Ok - if I were you then, I'd probably build a simple 3D model in SketchUp and work from there. Seems the simplest solution IMO - free and fairly easy to use.

8. macrumors newbie

For schematics, floorplans etc I've always used Illustrator or MacDraft both get the job done quickly.