Best solution to share display between desktop and laptop on a budget?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amin, Aug 22, 2006.

1. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I'd like to share a cinema display between a mac pro and Powerbook. The DVI KVMs are so expensive. VGA KVMs are cheap. Would I get a much worse picture quality if I use a DVI to VGA adaptor on both computers and go with the VGA KVM? Since I don't want to spring for a DVI KVM, I guess my other option is to keep moving the display plug back and forth. Any other options out there?

2. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Yeah, buy a monitor with both VGA and DVI... use DVI w/ ur probably better res Mac Pro... and VGA with Powerbook since there is an included adaptor... then just click switch on the screen. Thats what I did between my Dell and my Powerbook.

Works great as long as you have a dual-input monitor. I'm actually going to be reviving this with a used Powermac.... but also BT keyboard and mouse... so no need for KVM... just turn off bluetooth to the device I'm not using... :)

3. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Aaaarghh!! I was this close to getting the 24" Dell display instead of the 20" cinema display. I went for the Apple display for its looks and to not have the Dell logo in front of me all the time, but now that I realize the Dell has both VGA and DVI inputs I feel like a real jackass!

well, in that case, yeah...if you dont' want to spend the cash on getting a kvm switch, then just switch them back and forth when needed, thats about the only option out there. I would have said what Chef medeski said and just get a monitor with vga and dvi. :p but oh well. The apple displays are sweet, just switch it back and forth and DON"T screw it in place each time you move it or you will just drive yourself crazy! :D

5. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

You don't think it will create too much wear on the sockets moving it back and forth? To be honest, I won't need to hook it up to the Powerbook very often. Maybe once every couple of weeks. I guess the sockets have to be able to handle that since people hook them up to projectors all the time...

id say yes it would be a lot of wear....but that would be if you were doing that daily. if its only once in a while (once every one or two weeks, i think it should handle it just fine) really it should handle being plugged in and unplugged a lot considering people who plug in their macbook pros (or powerbooks) when they come home and then leave for work unplug and then plug back in at the end of the day.
    What i say...don't worry about it! As long as you don't mind occasionally swapping then go for that.:)

7. amin thread starter macrumors 6502a

amin

Thanks, I feel better now. If the plugs wear out, Apple Care better come through!

8. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Ouch!

Yeah, thats the first thing I check when I get a monitor. Size....ok i know what size i want.... resolution... usually its too good for me to tell anyways..... price... well of course.... inputs... AHHHH!!! Its pretty much the only feature a monitor has. :D

I would screw it out of the Mac Pro though... cause if you think about it. TO screw in your PB, u'll have to unscrew both ends or use a second cable which u'll still have to screw in three different things.... so three screws before and after at best.... four most likely.... or just two if you don't touch the monitor....

or sell it of for a dell...;)

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

How about OSXVnc on the Mac Pro, and Chicken of the VNC and Virtue Desktop on the PowerBook (or vice versa depending on which one works best)? Connect the monitor to the PowerBook (or Mac Pro), fire up CoVNC fullscreen on a second virtual desktop, and switch between the two using Ctrl-Shift-left arrow and Ctrl-Shift-right arrow.