Best song for testing bass on subwoofer

Discussion in 'Community' started by voyagerd, Aug 31, 2002.

1. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I just bought a set of Logitech Z-560 speakers from Apple:D and I am wondering what is the best song to test my subwoofer with. I need something with very good and deep bass. I just wish someone would make a soundcard for macintosh that is good but not over $300:rolleyes: .

Thank you

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

anything by THX is cool, they go off

just search limewire or what ever appp you use for BASS, lots will come up

3. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well don't use LameWire. :p Try Acquisition.

Search for "THX Ultimate Subwoofer Test". That one rattles my windows and shakes the walls. :D

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Try the theme from the television show the Saint. The kettle drums are a great test.

6. djwoolf macrumors member

Nah try anything on a Telarc Digital or London Recording. They (Telarc) use a 20 bit recording technique that is the most suberb Ive ever heard. Try 1812 Overture. Make sure the recording has real artillery in it or it wont be as good. This will test your Bass depth, loudness, and response. Remember though too much bass is a bad thing. It should only be set slightly higher than your high fequency sounds an significantly higher than your mid range frequencies. Balance is key. If that doesnt sound good to you then just set it as you like it your ear knows best!

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i always use madonna's Rain, it has a lot of bass and helps diagnose distortion...

:)
    pnw

8. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah madonna's great. Ray of Light is excellent for Pro-logic II testing. You should try Ursula Rucker's Spring. It's a great little drum&bass tune. Not ass-pounding like artillery shots, it's more of a groove. Pretty heavy on it though. Destiny by Zero 7 always makes me turn my subwoofer down. Or Kylie Minouge's Can't get You out of my Head, if you turn it up real loud. :)

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You can try Nemesis, Munches for your bass!! Or C-Lo, in Basshead Jazz :p ;)

I also have those speakers!! :D ;)

10. iGav macrumors G3

hmmmmmm........ pretty much anything from Portishead would give you a fair indication....... as would 'Stealing candy' (about 1.40 seconds onwards) from the soundtrack 'Went To Coney Island On A Mission From God (Be Back By 5)' or or 'Winjer' by Underworld off Beaucoup Fish..... or maybe even 'Long Periods Of Time' by Meat beat Manifesto.....

Actually Meat Beat Manifesto or Jack Dangers is well known for the sheer bowel shaking bass, at a gig in london, the volume of the bass helped form one hell of a queue at the toilets...... heh heh.......

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

How could no one bring this up?

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Every single 0.6 or 0.7 seconds there is a heavy bass boost and can pound on the subwoofer. I haven't even tested the thing out at high power. I don't want to scare the catfish downstairs just yet. :p

A warning on the song though:

[​IMG]

12. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Songs to test with:

The Night by Franki Valli
    Love Kills by Freddie Murcury
    Fame by David Bowie
    Angel by Aerosmith

They will elt you know if you have a good bass/treble balance.

Ensign

13. finchna macrumors regular

subwoofer test

I agree with the suggestion of the Telarc 1812 Overture--it looks like Telarc has released a revised version of the recording--see information below from the Telarc website. I also suggest the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony release below. This particular recording has the orchestra and the organ recorded separately and mixed together for a much more present and forward organ. The low pipes in the second half of the piece are great and would be a good check for subwoofer frequency response (vs. cannon shot punch response). Best,

Nathan

Recording: Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Organ
    Artist: Christian Badea/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Michael Murray
    Telarc Release# CD-80274

Recording: Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture & Capriccio Italien
    Artist: Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
    Telarc Release# CD-80041

Recording: Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture:The New Recording
    Artist: Erich Kunzel/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/ Kiev Symphony Orchestra
    Telarc Release# CD-80541

The Music, Cannons, Bells, Choruses and More
    This disc features all new recordings of every component that was on our original recording (music, cannons and bells), but has the addition of the Kiev Symphony Chorus with their authentic Russian sound, a children’s chorus and the optional brass band for more musical punch in the finale. We were able to hire the same cannoneers as for the 1978 recording, but this time recorded them in a larger "battlefield setting." The cannons could now be placed more accurately in the overall soundstage, as could all of the musical components—especially in the surround version!

We still must caution you to be careful of the initial playback volume for the sections with the cannons, as there is extremely taxing low frequency and transient information that could damage your equipment, especially your speakers, if you play them at excessively high levels. Countless hours were spent to keep the recording sonically challenging, but still accessible to all levels of playback equipment. The better your equipment, the more you can shake the walls, and the more detail you will hear. Have fun, but be careful!

14. voyagerd thread starter macrumors 65816

voyagerd

now all i need is a sound card for mac. Yesterday my sub broke a light when i got nuked in Total Annihilation:p !!

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

How about some Dub??? Like, old school, real deal jamaican rastafarian dub.

Mad Professor has some of the deepest lows i've ever heard and i've heard a lot of music.

Portishead, like iGav said, would work well.... :"pedastals" would be a pretty good benchmark.

m

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Songs

Ok, here they are:

Get it Wet - Twista

Can't Get Enough of that Gangsta ****- Westside Connection

17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

I Searched for Acquisition on google and Cnet
    but nothing usable came up....do you have a link.

p.s. i didnt know the people hear listened to
    such cool music....:p

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Sure thing:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15375&db=mac

I always recommend VersionTracker.com for finding Mac software.

20. finchna macrumors regular

getting the file

Not quite sure if the file mentioned is the one on the following site, but you might want to try this url:

http://www.stuifmail.nl/cgi-bin/dirwrap.cgi?template=example&path=filez

Also, there are other THX files here:

http://www3.telus.net/squishy/fthx.html

Best,

Nathan

21. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Re: Songs

Uhhh... Twista is from the Chi!!;) :p Midwest my friend!!