Best Sound Driver for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nopstnz8, Mar 23, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Hey guys I am looking to see if anyone knows a better sound driver for Windows 7? The quality of the one the system automatically installs sucks, so I'm looking for an alternative. I'm running 32-bit right now, but plan to wipe my 32-bit partition and do a clean install of 64-bit, so drivers for both systems would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

What do you mean by better sound driver? Is there a problem with the sound?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Nopstnz8

Well obviously if I am posting this. The quality is very low end compared to how it sounds on OSX. I believe I am using the Cirrus Audio driver for Windows XP, but can't figure out how to upgrade it to something with higher quality. I tried using the ones from the Snow Leopard install disc, but am pretty sure I am doing something wrong installing it. If someone could help me with the procedure for this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

4. macrumors 65816

I don't think you're installing it wrong. It's just that the Apple drivers for windows are crippled, probably intentionally. Apple has no motivation to make the windows experience good.

5. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

You could try the generic HD drivers http://www.realtek.com.tw/