Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I have a 2G iPod Mini, 5.5G iPod Video and a 7.5G iPod Classic and like the sound out of the Mini the best.

luismercado

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
What about the iPod Mini 2g? It also has a Wolfson DAC but as far as I know it's a different DAC than the one found in the 5.5 or the early Nanos.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
If you're using the Earpods you want to change that EQ to Treble Boost to get closer to an actual flat and even mix, and it sounds good. That's on the Touch, I wish I knew about the latest Nano, but 16gb is puzzling for such a thing..

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
The iPod Touch 4th Generation has the same DAC as the 4 and 4s which is arguable the best DAC released for mobile devices. Granted the HTC One beats it but it doesn't have the best music software which the iPod Touch 4th Generation has under iOS 6. The newer iPod Touch has better 'sound quality' but it seems the ohms are higher and I believe the stereo output is actually worse (how much the right side and left side leak), which is more noticeable than the sound quality generally.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The iPod Touch 4th Generation has the same DAC as the 4 and 4s which is arguable the best DAC released for mobile devices. Granted the HTC One beats it but it doesn't have the best music software which the iPod Touch 4th Generation has under iOS 6. The newer iPod Touch has better 'sound quality' but it seems the ohms are higher and I believe the stereo output is actually worse (how much the right side and left side leak), which is more noticeable than the sound quality generally.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that. That is the first thing I noticed when I was listening to a streamed Mastered for iTunes album, and then got the actual CD and loaded it onto my iPod. I was so disappointed that it didn't sound as amazing. :eek: Now that I load those tracks on my iPhone 5S, it's a HUGE difference!

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that. That is the first thing I noticed when I was listening to a streamed Mastered for iTunes album, and then got the actual CD and loaded it onto my iPod. I was so disappointed that it didn't sound as amazing. :eek: Now that I load those tracks on my iPhone 5S, it's a HUGE difference!

Yeah, I'm not finding any crosstalk result for the iPod Touch 5 but one can safely assume its between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4/4s due to the model of DAC that was used. The iPhone 5s has a very good stereo crosstalk of -76.1 compared to the iPhone 4's -68.4 but it does have higher ohms which would be a problem with more powerful headsets. The iPhone 5's DAC is absolutely horrendous compared to the typical Apple product. Apparently another reason people enjoy the iPod Touch 4 was due to the 'warmer' sound the device generates by the particular DAC also found on the iPhone 4/4s, iPad 2, and other iPods released in the same year. Not too sure but the newer models are said to have a more sharp cold sound which I hear with my 5.

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
With the mods I've done on my iPods, I've listened to the iPod 3G (Touch Wheel), iPod 4G (B&W), iPod 5.5G, and iPod mini - all with audiophile capacitor diyMod performed - and my favorite is the iPod 3G with an additional 20Hz HPF. The sound is just really rich and crisp from it. My daily iPod is a 64GB 5.5G though, since I plug it into my car stereo via USB, and I don't have a FireWire 12V adapter in the car yet, but if I get one, I'll likely switch to using the 3G full time.
retroMod 3G 128GB Internal View.jpg
retroMod 3G 128GB - Rockbox.png
retroMod 3G 128GB Actual Disk Space.png
iPod 5G Audiophile with HPF - 1.jpg
iPod 4G CF Card and Audiophile Upgrade - 1.jpg
iPod mini 2G Audiophile SD Card - 1.jpg

Reactions: Vin89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.