best speaker set for macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 5, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

I read some previous threads with recommendations for JBL, Klipsch and Harmon Kardon. Any thoughts or opinions? I dont' really need more than two speakers and a sub.

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well i have the jbl creatures and they sound really nice, also i think the price of them has dropped recently so i think they are really worth it!

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would recomend Altec Lansing ATP3s if you are on a budget. I have had them for almost 3 years now and i have no complaints what so ever. They have great sound for their price. They may not be the most stylish ever, but i personally think they have a great sound to them. Also, if you can you should go to a besty buy or where ever to hear the different speaker sets yourself, that way you can pick what YOU think sounds the best, not what everyone else thinks....just my two cents...

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Harmon and Kardon and JBL are both pretty good, not audiophile quality, but it doesnt seem thats what your looking for.

but id go with the JBL because of the style

but the recommendation for altec if your on a budget is also a good one.

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Bose! I have the wave cd radio and the sound it amazing that comes out of it!

6. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

The ones I had read about were

Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1
    JBL creature
    Harmon Kardon sound sticks
    Altec Lansing ATP3

7. reaper macrumors 6502

My 6 year old set of Cambridge Soundworks MicroWorks sound great, and the new sets are even better. They are a bit expensive, but if you can fork over the $, I would highly recommend them.

- reaper

8. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Hook your mac upto your hifi system, depending upon what hifi you have this is a much better solution, unless distance etc is not feasable.

I did have the Harman Kardon soundsticks, they sound top for the size and look the part too, the only thing with them though is the sticks are VERY directional, by this, if you dont point them correctly the trebble goes.

I would suggest going into a shop and auditioning some sets, see which sound the best to you.

9. Beck446 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there are bluetooth speakers yet?

10. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Creatures are very nice speakers at a fair price.

The silver match PB's very well, and the white ones look good with eMacs and iBooks.

11. garybooberry macrumors member

I have the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and love them....awesome, crisp sound with excellent bass response.

12. chrisspea macrumors newbie

I also have the JBL Creatures in white, and am pretty happy with them. They were a good price and match nicely with the Mac.

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

and the best computer multimedia system is...

THE LOGITECH Z-680...as posted all over the net.

They are rated better than the Klipsch ProMedia, and they have digital decoding built in, so you don't have to purchase a seperate decoder (as with the Klipsch's). Plus they cost less.

14. senseibiz macrumors regular

I have the Soundsticks and the subwoofer, they both sound great.

15. Beck446 macrumors regular

Well, I guess there's no such thing as bluetooth speakers. I can't find any on the Net and you all don't seem to know of any.

Does anyone know if there is some inherent reason why bluetooth cannot power audio??

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Power has nothing to do with it since you'd have to plug the speakers into the wall anyway. Bluetooth doesn't work because it can only theoretically put out about 760 Kbps (with the actual bandwidth lower) and uncompressed audio is over 1 Mbps. The only way you could transfer sound/music over bluetooth is if you stream an mp3 file and have a chip in the speakers that decompresses it.

17. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

18. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I would say that for $149.00 the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A - 2.1 Speaker System are the best value and they are right up there with Harman Kardon SoundSticks II for $199.00 and the Altec Lansing FX6021 - 2.1 Speakers for $299.00 as far as sound quality. Go to the Store and try them for yourself.

19. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

at a recent visit to the local apple store, i tried to compare the three speaker sets in question... ProMedia 2.1's, Soundsticks, and the $299 Altec Lansings.

Overall, the Klipsch's sounded the most powerful, with the most accurate bass response. The sound seemed to fill the room better than the soundsticks, and despite the beautiful design, i felt the Altec Lansing bass was too "boomy". I'm planning on purchasing the ProMedias, although if anyone has had problems with them, I would appreciate hearing about them.

But yes, it is almost IMPERATIVE to listen to the speakers up-close and personal. Try to go to your Apple store and do some tests with some songs from iTunes/iTMS...it really helped me.

20. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

I too have had them for a few years, and they're great! Cheap too... They're pretty good looking too. :cool:

However, I've always had an interest in the JBL Creature Speakers at the Apple Store. :rolleyes:

21. 173080 macrumors 6502

I bought a Creative Labs/Cambridge SoundWorks DTT-3500 system a couple of years ago for ~$350 and it still sounds great. :cool:

22. unfaded macrumors 6502

Cambridge Soundworks.

It helps me tell the difference between AAC 320kbps and lossless ;) They are that good.

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if your dead set against the logitechs (honestly they can't be beat, and i haven't seen anyone post a better set for a better price, but i digress), i can recommend NOT buying the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks.

The guy across the hall from me has them on his laptop along with the sub, and they are GARBAGE! tinny weak sound, loose bass, and the sound is muffled if the speakers aren't positioned correctly.

24. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

Altec lansing 621s... they are no longer in production, but have awesome bass for their price. :)

Well worth the AUD$235 I payed... even cheaper second hand...