Best speakers for a PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Soire, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Soire macrumors regular

I've done some research and listened to other posted threads regarding speakers. I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best set of speakers to get for a PowerMac that both looks good and sounds good. I'm looking to spend around $100, but could be persuaded to go higher.

So far I know that the Altec Lansing ATP3's are a good value, I like the look of the Creative iTrigues, the Soundsticks look and sound good but are @ $250, and the 5.1 systems are mostly very expensive or a waste of money.

Thoughts? :)

2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

You've probably seen me say this in many other threads before, but the Klipsch ProMedias are unbeatable. The 2.1 system sells for a little over $100 usually, but it looks like you can find some deals. I did a quick Froogle search and found one set for $100 and some others very near that.

Also, it appears that they've released a new version and now offer two seperate 2.1 ProMedia speaker setups. I have the original THX certified ones and I believe the new GMX series is a complete redesign. Although this new series doesn't carry the THX logo, I'm sure they still will blow you away.

3. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

Creative i-trigue

I have the Creative I-trigue L3450. They're the highest end model i think, it's the same as the L3500 but white & silver instead of black & silver. They sound great, I picked them up off Buy.com for $110 or so. The sound quality is very impressive, especially from mid range up. My only complaint is the subwoofer is too "boomy" and I always either turn the bass down or mess with the equalizer settings to make it sound tighter. I think they'll match the powermac well, the silver front is pretty close to the color of my Powerbook, and the white finish matches the Apple keyboard & mouse.

4. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

Those look pretty nice, and I could get them at bestbuy for like $150. But what's the input? Just a headphone jack- or am I missing something? Thanks.

5. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

Hey any word on Bose computer systems, like the Companion 3? Or are they all ridiculously overpriced and probably not worth it?

6. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 vs. Soundsticks

Which is better Harmon Kardon's soundsticks or the Klipsch 2.1 THX ProMedias?

Sorry for all the postings, but I figure I'll buy real soon. :)

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I personally would go with the JBL Cretaures II which are $99. I can't imagine better sound out of any speaker set that isn't some overpriced bose. I don't reccomend creative, though ok they have some wierd base sounds, and the soundsticks sometimes sound muffled.

8. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

They plug into the speaker jack but also include a headphone jack as well. They use the speaker output on the back of my G4 tower but also include an aux input and a headphone output on top of that.

9. Soire thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice people. I think I shall purcahse the Klipsch Promedia system for $150 from bestbuy just as soon as the new PowerMacs come out (might be awhile)

Would these hook up to an iBook though? And would it be worth having now? :)

10. laserbeahm macrumors member

Get the JBL Invaders with 4.1 surround sound. They're awesome.

11. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

nothing, i repeat nothing touches Klipsch in sound quality. The HKs are more for style and not sound. try the 2.1 promedia and if you're balsy go for the ultra 5.1. Ohh and Klipsch uses an analog connector. Try m-audio's revolution PCI card for better sound.

Tyler

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Bose are not over priced! I have a Bose Wave Radio CD and it is the clearest sound i have ever heard!!