Best Speakers for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wasimyaqoob, Sep 8, 2006.

1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of Speakers with a Subwoofer. I have a limited budget to around £50, for 2.1 (2 Speakers and 1 Subwoofer).

The Subwoofer must have extreme bass as i'm a BASS JUNKIE.

Thanks.

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you want ludicrous amounts of bass on a budget, Logitech have that pretty well covered.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Get yourself on eBay and look for some Creature 2's

I got mine for £39 shipped. They aint new, but the guys sells loadsssssss. Theyt come in the original box but they are refurbs. Great price, great seller, and great speakers.

4. ~L~ macrumors member

:D coincidentally was just about to ask the same thing. Any other models to recommend guys? Also, is it ok to place the subwoofers near the hard drive in your computer? :confused: I realise that sounds a lil stupid...but I think I read somewhere that they shouldn't be placed too close.

5. wasimyaqoob thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. swingline macrumors member

logitech z-2300. second to the klipsche promedia 2.1 speakers but a lot more bass and matches the mac pretty well.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

As a general rule, no. They aren't good friends for CRT monitors either. Keep 'em on the floor.

8. kjdenison macrumors 6502

Buy a monkey and a bass drum, and let him beat on it.

9. shawsinio macrumors regular

just today i bought the creative i-trigue 3220's and am really pleased with them. bass pretty good, enough to annoy people on floors below anyway!they were £44, so just in your budget.

10. seabass069 macrumors regular

By the Klipsch 2.1 speakers. If you have more money to spend got with the Logitech® Z-5500 Digital.

11. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Thanks to the geniuses at a local circuit city i found a bose lifestyle roommate speaker (it looks like the bose sound dock without the dock but has a input in the back) for $90:cool: (they normally sell for about $400). But i do have a pair of creatures and they are nice but i feel the midrange can be underwhelming at times and it takes some tweaking in itunes settings to help compensate. as stated earlier the logitechs are pnice if you are on a budget I had some before the creatures. I do like the altec lansings that look like the mac pro

12. nyprospect macrumors 6502

I havea pair of creative itrigue speakers for sale.Please check the market place section.If interested pls pm me.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

I recently bought the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers at BestBuy for $88 on sale, and I love them! They got very good reviews at $150, but at $88 they are a steal. And yes, they have all the bass you could ever want!

14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I have to suggest the Creature II's. I've never had a problem with the sound and Harmon Kardon sells them refurbished on eBay for $50.

Daniel.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I third the Klipsch.

16. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I bought Klipsch 2.1 speakers and chose them over all the other low priced offers solely because they have a 150 watt subwoofer. Highest powered low priced 2.1 speakers I know of!

17. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes... but power isn't everything.

I'd recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021's, but they can't be had new for less than $150. Cheaper AL 2.1 speakers still sound good though!

If you can find a deal like the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's for $88 then take it. I never saw those speakers nearly so cheap.

18. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes, I don't know why BB had them so cheap. They were brand new in the box, so I thought it best to grab them while I could.

19. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I also like the Klipsch. They sound great for playing music and for games.

20. ~L~ macrumors member

my tower is sat on the floor though..the furthest apart they can be placed is probably about 20cm. Is that a bit too close?

21. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I love my soundsticks. Had them for a bit now (£100 new) so I guess they can be picked up on eBay for a sensible amount.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, this is a disk inside the computer? That's fine.

23. Some_Big_Spoon macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

I use the USB Sound Sticks. They're great on sound, heavy on bass, and it's a nice little feature that they show up in the audio prefs.

24. ~L~ macrumors member

I like the look of the Soundsticks, but the price range in the UK is a little out of my range, as are the Klipsch suggestions. :(
    However, I could probably afford to spend it on the Soundsticks once my student bursary comes in.

does anyone own these speakers or tried them out before? they seem to have gotten pretty good reviews and are in my price range.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-MMS...2/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1/202-3868645-0443813?ie=UTF8

25. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

Even better: The older (early 2004) Logitech Z-2200! Same powerful subwoofer, with better-sounding satellites (3-inch vs. 2.5). Cheap, too!