Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derek1997

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
A place
Can i get some suggestions. I want it to look good with my 2011 iMac. My price range is about 300$.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
I have been VERY impressed by the B&W MM1s (sorry i know above your intended budget)
if you save a bit longer or manage it they are well worth it.
What i like the most is the tight bass, its there but not overwhelming.
Ultimately the sound you like is a personal preference and if possible its best go and listen to the speakers you short list.
I went to the Apple store expecting to by the soundsticks (love the design) but realised after quite a long listening test (very patient Apple store employe) that the sound although initially was good that my ears soon became fatigued with sound they produced, hence the purchase of the MM1s
Also use Apple lossless or FLAC files and you will be rewarded with Happy Ears.

Last edited:

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
I would get the bose companion speakers they sound uber-good
and the volume control pod is nice too
They are a little more expensive than the competitors but the highs and vocals are definitely crisper

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I would get the bose companion speakers they sound uber-good
and the volume control pod is nice too
They are a little more expensive than the competitors but the highs and vocals are definitely crisper

+1 for these
have had the companion 3 for a couple of years and they are amazing (to me, I'm not a audiophile by any means). Music sounds crisp, and base is perfect.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
While it really depends on what type of music you like, either the following are good choices. I have earlier models of both - the Klipsch are a tad over 6 years old and the SoundSticks a bit over 8 years old and both still sound good to me.

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and I love it. Sounds nice and crisp, bass is tuned just right.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
Without a doubt the Audioengine A5's are the best speakers within your budget ($299 from Amazon). I have a pair and I love them - it's not only me though check out the amazing reviews.

Adam

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and I love it. Sounds nice and crisp, bass is tuned just right.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch...lack/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

I had those for a few years until I gave them to my brother.

I now just received the Audioengine A2s.

Both are fantastic speakers. I think the Promedia's are better for watching movies or playing video games as they have a lot of artificial bass. It's crazy how much freakin' bass those things had.

On the other hand, I think the A2's have more range and are better for listening to music, plus they don't take up half the space the Promedia does as they don't have a subwoofer, and they look much better.

My choice would be either these two speakers, conclusion:

Watching movies, playing games = Promedia 2.1's

Listening to music = A2's

You won't be upset with either.

eoinfen

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012

Frost17

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
As numerous people said previous, the Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media are amazing.

They give great bass and clarity for just about everything. You cannot beat the price either ($150). Sure you can find better speakers through B&W and others, but I'd say this is great for your budget.

bumzo1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2009
Dallas, TX
another +1 on the Promedia 2.1s, been using them since last summer and it still puts a smile on my face every time I crank them up.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I've used the Klipsch Promedia and Bose Companion 3/5 systems. The Klipsch is the best value as it has a good sound and is relatively inexpensive. However, for me, you can't beat the Bose. I like their sound, styling and performance. Currently I have the Bose Companion 5 system for personal listening, but when friends are over I stream my music through Apple TV to my Bose Home Theater speakers.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Both are fantastic speakers. I think the Promedia's are better for watching movies or playing video games as they have a lot of artificial bass. It's crazy how much freakin' bass those things had.
I don't know about the Klipsch speakers you had, but the ones I have do have a separate control to adjust the bass so it's not too much or too little bass for the music you are listening to and the room you are in.

doctorjj

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I've been using the Bose Companion 3's for several years now and they sound absolutely fantastic. Perfect for music, movies, games, whatever!

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
If all you want is something that looks good, by all means, buy BOSE.

If you want something that sounds good, for the love of all that is holy, don't buy BOSE.

In the audiophile community BOSE stands for Buy Other Stereo Equipment.
My intention is not to offend any of those who have purchased their products, Bose has an amazing Marketing campaign. Their stuff is easy to setup, and sounds good to people who have only listened to TV speakers or very low-end sound systems.

However, for the money, you can have much better sound. BOSE is extremely mid-range heavy with little to no highs or lows. They use extremely cheap components with woofers frequently made of cardboard like material.

If you want more impressive sound, you would be much better off buying some of the studio monitor models recommended here like the A5's(for more options checkout the A5+), Alesis or even B&W. If you only listen to streaming internet music or highly compressed MP3's it probably doesn't matter what you get. You would actually notice the compression with any $300 setup, but more so with these studio monitors.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Allmost any near-field studio monitor will do just fine.

You will most likely place your speakers on either side of your iMac, and you will sit most likely 2 feet from the screen. This places you dead-center in the optimum position. The near-field is the area in which the output of the speaker is dominant and the acoustics of the room has negible effect on what you hear. You can buy decent near field monitors starting from $200 but can spend 20K or more if you want something in horrible colours and endorsed by an ugly rapper.

Deciding what to buy is easy. Bring along a song you know very well and ask to listen to a couple of speakers. If you go to a musicians store they have speakers set up in the right position. (Two feet apart, and stand two feet away when listening.) Buy something that fits your budget and sounds good.

(For reference: I have a pair of ESI nEar 05 eXperience's. Over your budget, but extremely good speakers and after seven years in studio's and on stage I'm rather spoiled by listening to expensive equipment.)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Can i get some suggestions. I want it to look good with my 2011 iMac. My price range is about 300$.

Do you want them to sound good, too, or is style your only consideration?

Hard to recommend the best speaker for you since you haven't told us what you listen to on your Mac? What kinds of music are you into? Do you prefer low volume background music or something capable of shaking down the neighbor's house? Do you listen to podcasts or other spoken word content on your Mac? Heavy metal?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Over your budget, but extremely good speakers and after seven years in studio's and on stage I'm rather spoiled by listening to expensive equipment.)
While I understand what you're saying, "expensive" isn't necessarily the best measurement of quality. If it was, I would have a lot of Bose speakers.

Do you want them to sound good, too, or is style your only consideration?
As it stands, derek1997 needs to take the suggestions here and go listen to the various speakers. Hopefully with a small assortment of test music.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
As it stands, derek1997 needs to take the suggestions here and go listen to the various speakers. Hopefully with a small assortment of test music.

Very wise advice! I must admit threads such as this, starting with something like "What is the best......" are pretty meaningless, usually ending up with a list of peoples personal preferences - as evidenced above!

We all have differing perception and preferences of what we hear - one man's "like" can be another man's "dislike". In my experience, the only realistic way to make a decision is to visit the local store and listen to a selection of speakers. That way you will select what you like and not what others do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.