Best speakers I can get for $60-$80?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 26, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Since I have a Mac now and basically my entire CD collection contained on it, I'm donating my stereo to a sibling. What are the best speakers available for my Mac, and what's the best value?

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i suggest you do a search of previous topics as this has been discussed numerous times before...

but, i would recommend altec lansing's atp3's for around $70 :)

3. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Another vote for Altec Lansing ATP3s. You can find them for as little as $12 if you know where to look, and they're far better than even their initial MSRP of $100 (which is now around $70 everywhere). They sound amazing, and I've had two sets for almost four years now (switched to others, but only because I wanted even better sound and was willing to pay for it :))

4. emark macrumors newbie

I can't believe that the above post said ATP3.

I have a set, and love them.

I listened to their (Altec Lansing's) more expensive versions and wasn't impressed, at the time was working (now back in school) and was ready to spend up to $200, but nothing in a couple of stores sounded as good....

They have released an updated version which has a squared off look, and the addition of a audio out/headphone jack on the front...

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE!!!

volume, and seperate bass/treble controls are handy, sound is awesome.

Only things I wish I had are the extra jack, and, a dual source (easily done w/ switch box from the Shack)

good luck.

5. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Thanks for posting something relevant to the discussion, emark :) As it was, you just had a sentence which meant essentially nothing on its own. Sorry for my misunderstanding. :)

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I have these the altec lansing 2100 and i love them.

aethier

EDIT: and they are not 99$USD, i bought them with the candian dollar, at costco, for like 89CAD

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Slightly off topic but when I had my B&W G3 in 99 I purchased the first set of speakers by Altec Lansing that came in translucent blue to match the G3. They were under a hundred and I certainly were impressed by their sound albeit its subwoofer did struggle a little at lower frequencies and when pushed by bass heavy beats but otherwise a fantastic set. My mom's got them on her computer at work after I went with Klipsch's Promedia lineup.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'll toss in a vote for Logitech's Z540 set. Don't let the 40 watt rating fool you, these babies get loud :D I just wish I hadn't broken the jack on the left front speaker :rolleyes: Heck, I also wish I would get around to buying either an external audio thing that supports 4.1, or at least a 1/8" stereo splitter :)

9. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

10. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Another vote for Altec Lansing. I've had a few different pairs over the years and they've all amazed me how much sound I get out of those smallish speakers. And they're usually some of the cheapest out there.

11. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

I'd recommend Logitech purely from a price/performance standpoint, but I've heard nothing but bad marks about their midrange and high-end. The bass is major, though... but if you listen to music at all (rather than simply watching movies) I've not been impressed by their sound--neither have most people who've reviewed them...

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

13. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

?
    Lost me, counterfit!
    How does Juan Pablo Montoya or formula 1 racing undermine your comments?

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

JBL Duet

I would totally reccoment JBL Duet. They sound awesome for having no sub. I have an iMac (w/odyssey satellites) and an iSub, but it won't work w/my new computer, so i had to get other ones. They are amazing with no sub.

$68

15. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

16. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

what about soundsticks? I know that they are are between 150 and 200, but are they worth it for the price?