Best speakers to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by biohazard6969, Jul 22, 2006.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    i'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but search returned too many results to sift through

i'm looking for some EXCELLENT speakers, nothing less, i'm looking to upgrade from Bose Companion 3's and i need an amazing sub and equally good satelites, i'm hopting to go for at least 5.1 surround, and i'd love if the back satelites were wireless. is there a ny way to hook up a traditional stereo setup to my mac? because that would definitely widen my selection because there are panasonic stero system that i know of that would be just perfect
  2. austere macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2006
    Most people think Klipsch makes the best computer speakers out there, but they're not cheap (although the 2.1 models are down to like $125). I love my Altec Lansing 251 (a three year old 5.1 system) which sounds great in most any range and gets huge volume, so I'd recommend that company too.
  3. reh macrumors 6502a

Oct 24, 2003
    I have the Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers. They have excellent sound and were about $80 at Best Buy a couple years ago. However, the connections are absolute junk. After 6 months or so, sound would cut in and out and you'd have to jiggle the connections on the satellites or subwoofer. Now just simply picking up a speaker will cause it to cut out. I'm moving soon and plan on either giving them to someone or throwing them away. Pure garbage. (This is not just me either, it's a common problem with these.)
  4. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 -

You wanted the best, these are some of the best "computer" speakers you can buy, but don't expect them to cost $100. ;)

These are not your usual multimedia speakers. Blue Sky's MediaDesk 2.1 monitors bring studio-quality sound to desktop audio production. And if you want to upgrade to a surround system in the future, their 5.1 upgrade kit makes it easy.

I guess it really depends on your definition of "excellent", but don't think the Klipsch, Logitech, Bose multimedia speakers are going to compare to something like the Blue Skys, but like I said you are going to pay for the difference in quality.
  5. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Of course, all Macs have audio out. Most even have digital audio out.
  6. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2005
    toronto canada
    ok great, is there any sort of guide to doing it, or what would i need, i don't know where to starti know my imac has optical out or something like that but i don't know what that means
  7. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2005
    How about the manual? Most newer macs have an a digital out, but it's a mini toslink cable.
    You can feed your stereo or surround data to a reciever with an digital input. Consumer Digital Ins/Outs (I/O) come in two types optical also called Toslink or Coaxial which has a connector end that looks like a standard RCA jack. The advatage is the digital data is sent out to an AV device, like a receiver and the Digital to Audio conversion is done there.

What's your budget for speakers?
    How big is your room, Will you be sitting up close to your front speakers, say less than 4 feet.?
    What kind of music do you listen to?

Are your ears in good shape?

1 I'd never suggest any "computer" speakers for getting good sound. Instead buy a modest receiver and some good bookshelf/satellite speakers will play louder and more accurately. There are some quality powered speakers, but the good ones can cost quite a bit. You can add more speakers as the budget permits and a good POWERED subwoofer. SInce most amplifier power is required for bass you can get buy with a modest receiver power as long as the subwoofer is powered.
    Additionally you can use you Mac digital out to a digital in of most modern receivers to supply a nice clean digital source, either stereo or all surround channels.

Check out for "real" speaker and AV equipment recomendations.

2, Getting satellite speakers that can output 20kh-80hz +/- 2 Db and then an adjustable crossover powered subwoofer that plays 80hz to 20hz or lower is also a tried and true standard.

3. Listen to some decent/recommended bookshelf speakers. A one inch tweeter and 6-8 inch mid/woofer is a pretty much tried and true design. Some better quality 4-5 inch mid/bass woofers perform well. The larger the speakers generally the more efficient and have higher output, if you have the space.

3. look at music/video studios that make and record our music and movies and try to copy their set up as the budget permits.
    Not that we can all afford or need the output from 5 M&K 2510p's and an LFE5 but it's something to shoot for:)

Unless Klipsch has changed the way their speakers sound dramatically, in the last few years, I would listen to something else first. I have owned Cornwalls (old school, high output horn mid/tweet, Huge size) and listened to some of their top home models and they don't sound that great in the midrange area. Horn midranges put out lots of sound but sound less than clean with vocals to me.

I'm using a pair of M&K B1600's, an adcom 565 pre, Carver 200 watt M1.0t amp, and a Velodyne Servo 1200. I want better stuff too, but until I can afford it...

Most is inherited eqiupment or stuff I've had a long time. I'm sure there is better, but sounds clean and plays real loud and deep cleanly.
    I bought the M&K B1600's on sale, floor models for $300 a pair. I liked them when they cost $1000 a pair regular retail! Haven't won any critical listening awards and they make better sounding speakers. But for rock pop, blues and trance they sound good, set up as near field monitors. I blew them up with a freak "DC current" event and M&K replaced the woofers for free:). Comes with a 10 year warranty! M&K's generally play very loud and clean if you have the amplifier power.
    I like Velodyne subwoofers. They go real low cleanly and most are powered. Newer models have many more adjustments... The trick is to get any subwoofer to mate where their high point matches with the low point of the satellite without a hole or peak in the sound.

8. esaleris macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    Haha, I was going to post to the same effect, GreenJeans. I frequent AVSForum myself.

BOSE is known as one of the better con games in the audio industry. They are great for people who care slightly more about style than performance. That said, it sounds like you're making the switch from style to performance. In that vein, you should consider a 5.1 system with a true A/V receiver - nothing will come close. I personally have my Mac mini optically outputting to a Marantz receiver, with Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers. But for reference, I will list the approximate prices for a 5-speaker system of the following levels:

Consumer - $600-1000
    Polk Audio Monitor Series
    Infinity Primus Series
    JBL Venue Series
    Athena 5.1
    Orb Audio 5.1
    SVS SB-01 5.1

Entry Level - $1000-$2000
    Paradigm Monitor Series
    B&W 600 Series

Mid-Fi - $2000-$3000
    Paradigm Studio Series
    B&W 700 Series

Other Brands to Consider
    PSB, Thiel, Klipsch, DefTech

Internet Direct
    I personally don't know much but have heard great things from Aperion, Axiom, Ascend

Subwoofer - $500
    SVS PB-10 / PB-12
    HSU Subwoofers

Receivers - $400 - $1500
    Onkyo, Denon, H/K, Marantz, Pioneer Elite

That said, there's a lot of improvement for the price from the low-end to a mid-end. Going from the Polk Monitors to the Paradigms I have now was a tremendous change. I would suspect you'd have to pay a lot more money for any incremental improvements from here on out. Hope this helps.
  9. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2006
    I like logitech for computers and klipsch for home
  10. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX and i love them. somebody else said that they were having problems with the audio connection and I have had no problems at all with mine. My computer sound setup is actualy a little interesting because I have a TV and DVD player using the same speakers so I have one of those radio shack adapters that you press one of 4 buttons on it to select your audio source and then that goes to a bookshelf stereo reciver where I EQ my sound and then it goes out of the headphone jack to the speakers. Probobly not the best setup but it works for me.