Best spyware and security tools? HELP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am in need of some good security tools asap. Specifically, I am looking for spyware, key logging, etc. security. One of the things I am worry about is the kind of security threat that can happen when you click on an attached word file in an email. Is it possible that someone can now monitor your email or computer as a result?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

For a Mac? I don't believe such a thing exists in terms of a Word document attachment functioning as a keylogger or monitoring application.

Who's telling you this?

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

no one's actually telling me this. The problem is that I opened two word docs from someone in an email, now suddenly they have info regarding an emial conversation I was having with a completely different person. I am really confused as to why they would now have the info and the only thing in common to the exchanges is the word document that was sent to me and now forwarded to the third person.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I did find this note on the MS website. Doesn't mention e-mail though.

Although something is nagging at the back of my mind about Word storing certain system information in documents, although I don't recall it being specifically about e-mail.

Just to get this straight:

1. Person A sends you a couple of Word documents. You open them.

2. You have an e-mail conversation with Person B, but don't copy Person A.

3. Person A talks to you about things mentioned in e-mail to Person B.

I'm assuming Person B and Person A didn't exchange your e-mails?

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

If you use the computer on you desk at work to do *ANYTHING* you need to assume that your every keystroke is captured. Managers, security, boss, can read your emails, look over your disk to see what you have, monitor your web surfing habits, etc. This has been challenged in court and the company always wins. If you are at home it would be a different story. Not saying this is what happened, just wanted to bring up this possibility.

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

You have it almost perfect. At step 2 I have saved the attached word document to my desktop. In a new email I attach the word document to person B and we have an exchange about the best way to respond to person A.

Now person A has person B's email address, which they did not have, and they reference specific lines in the email exchange between me and Person B.

You are correct that A and B have not exchanged communications.

7. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

thanks for taking the time, but no this is completely a personal matter and has no work type of environmental concerns.

8. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

A long shot, but is there any possibility that you could at some stage have accidentally done 'reply all' rather than 'reply'?

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I suggest you get Little Snitch which will alert you to programs that are trying to send information out. Other than that I am uncomfortable with answering your question.

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

ummm I already have little snitch, thanks. You are uncomfortable answering my question? what a ridiculous post, I am asking how to protect myself, not how to do something illicit.

11. isleofjib macrumors regular

i think what he's saying is this isn't an area of expertise and he doesn't want to give you incorrect information. more people should be like that.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aniej, are you sure the people involved didn't communicate directly... i.e. send the e-mail from one to the other?

You could try ClamXAV and MacScan.... they're both supposed to be fairly decent. But I don't think you're going to find anything. The only way I could think of the Word document containing an exploit is if the exploit were embedded VBA or a Macro. You should be able to see if there are macros or VBA apps hidden in the document from the Tools->Macros option in Word.

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

*is* there even OS X keylogging software? I mean theoretically something would be possible, but it would be incredibly difficult to create, expensive in time and or money to write something capable of doing that to a Mac through a Word document.

My guess is it's something else-an accidental "reply all" or the person hacking in to either your computer or mail server (guessing a password or something) or something like that.

Word stores all kinds of extra hidden junk in it's files. At least with the Outlook on Windows, it normally uses Word as it's editor, so if you started an email to one person, and changed it to another, there could (maybe) still be parts of the earlier conversation in there. Something like that could be going on. But it doesn't seem like it could be your computer, unless you have an easy to guess password and have remote access of some sort turned on (or they have physical access to it and it's not password protected).
    Seems like they'd be getting this info some other way.

I REALLY hope you figure this out, as it sounds pretty creepy.

14. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Which mail client are you using? Is it web based? Seems unlikely that word is sending that kind of information to people. However, if you sent different versions of the same document, it is possible that the version you didn't want them to see was somehow visible (like if you were using the reviewing function). Or there could be some human error.. or perhaps person a and b are out to get you!

YT

15. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

You are right isleofjib, I didn't realize it when I read it, but now I can see it. Oh, and you are 100% correct, I wish more than anything when I am using this site that people wouldn't just answer with gut reactions or worse just plain wrong, I love when people help me out or I can help, but honestly it just sucks to think you got some help and then realize it was bs and wasted more time or have to deal with people posting, but the postings have nothing helpful to say.

emptyCup, my bad, sorry!