Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
I've been trying to research what the best third-party SSD upgrade options are out there for my Mid 2010 27" iMac. From what I can gather the OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 are the top two drives... My questions are:

• Which is better? Anyone have personal experience with either of these drives?
  • Does a capacity of 256GB or 512GB make any difference to SSD performance?
I look forward to receiving some feedback and hopefully making the right choice!

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I've been trying to research what the best third-party SSD upgrade options are out there for my Mid 2010 27" iMac. From what I can gather the OCZ Vertex 4 and Samsung 830 are the top two drives... My questions are:

I look forward to receiving some feedback and hopefully making the right choice!

Samsung 830

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
What makes you say that?

From the figures in this review the Vertex 4 seems to come out quite favourably: http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/ocz-vertex-4-ssd/4505-9998_7-35182249-2.html

Plus, of course, it has a 5 year warranty. Bold claims...

In terms of reliability i think Samsung is step front of all others.I have two of them in RAID 0 in my iMac for one year and they are rock solid plus the performance is great better than they post in drive's specifications.In the past i had OWC performance far worse that the numbers they mention in ther site plus some other small issues.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
It also appears that you have to purchase an adapter to fit the Samsung SSD into the iMac - is that right?

Correct. For what it's worth, i went with the 830. The difference an SSD makes is astounding...lol

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
It also appears that you have to purchase an adapter to fit the Samsung SSD into the iMac - is that right?
it depends in my case i open two new holes in the HDD bracket for the first drive and for the second drive i purchased the original apple SSD bracket which is installed under the GPU heatsink.You can also put a drive in exchange with superdrive again with a bracket.

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
With my iMac only having SATA II (3Gbps) connection, I'm not sure the latest and greatest would make sense for me as it'd be hindered anyway...

I think what I'm really after is something reliable!

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Interesting - let us know how it goes. Was thinking about fitting in a SSD too (Samsung 830).

Will be good to see how you get on with fitting it in.

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
With my iMac only having SATA II (3Gbps) connection, I'm not sure the latest and greatest would make sense for me as it'd be hindered anyway...

In random read/writes your SSD isn't hindered by the 3 Gbps. So only in copying large chunks of continuous data, you'll notice the difference between SATA 2 & SATA 3.

----------

Anyway, in your position I'd try and buy an intel 320 SSD. If you search a little, you'll find them dead cheap.

I'd chose the 830 over the vertex 4 any day of the week.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011

Correct but newer drive new technology better controller

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
What makes you say that?

From the figures in this review the Vertex 4 seems to come out quite favourably: http://reviews.cnet.com/internal-hard-drives/ocz-vertex-4-ssd/4505-9998_7-35182249-2.html

Plus, of course, it has a 5 year warranty. Bold claims...

That's an interview that says absolutely nothing. The reason why SSDs speed up your computer and boot times have next to nothing to do with the sequential read/write speeds. It's all in the low access times and high random read/write speeds, which aren't even mentioned in that article.

Anandtech's review. Anandtech uses a pretty comprehensive synthetic benchmark that offers a very decent base for comparing SSD's. They also have a light workload benchmark.

philliplind

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Exciting

Hey guys,

I am really nervous about this, could you give me an exact link to a guide on how to install and where to buy the right samsung 830 and maybe the toolkit for installing it into my imac (mid 2010).

And can i put an 512gb in it? or only 250gb?

Really hope you can help me out, so i can get this baby rocking :D

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow

OP - just following up if you managed to get the SSD installed? Offer any tips / your experiences?

Looking to go for the 830 myself (primary) and keep the current 1TB hard drive as secondary for storing files etc. I've heard the fans will go bonkers if Apples firmware detects a non-apple installed drive - is this true or bo11ocks?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I've heard the fans will go bonkers if Apples firmware detects a non-apple installed drive - is this true or bo11ocks?

I remember seeing this mentioned elsewhere and apparently it's basically bollox because the original drive is still in the machine. The SSD is not replacing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.