Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Hey there guys
just wondering what are the best studio monitors for my computer setup.
i currently have the logitech z-2300 and although the z-2300s are the best speakers i have had so far i sometimes feel that the bass overpowers the mids too much. even with the bass knob i just cannot seem to set it to the right level.
i listen to Trance and House so id prefer tight punchy bass den a room rumbling bass. i have seen other threads but most of the people were suggesting just normal computer speakers. im looking for studio monitors only as im very interested in music production.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thanks

my budget would be around 500-600

danny92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
oh and yes i have seen few suggestions already.
ppl suggested krks, audioengines, Swans and Wharfadale(?)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Adam A3X. The KRKs are not studio monitors by any reach of the imagination, they're glorified multimedia speakers.

If you really can't stretch to the A3X ($650 - very cheap for how good they sound), then I recommend the Samson Rubicon R6A.

Make sure you get the speakers positioned correctly, maybe on a small pair of desktop stands?

gannonsamuel

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Personally, i've never really been a fan of KRK's... they sound a bit to 'hifi' for mixing on...

I love my tannoy Active reveals.

Check out Dynaudio, Genelec, adam, Acoustic energy.

but advise really is find a shop that sells monitors and try them out, take along CDs you like and know really well, and listen to them on as many different speakers as possible and pick the ones you like.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
for 500-600... tough call.

if you're going to bother with KRK, check out the VXT line. the Rokits are junk. The VXT4's are within your budget and are a hell of a studio monitor "at any price". If you can't get a solid mix on those, the speaker isn't the problem. :)

If you're willing to spend a bit more, or don't mind buying used, the suggestions of Adam, Genelec are solid ones. I don't like any of m-audio's speakers - but that's just my opinion.

Big fan of Dynaudio, Focal - but like Genelec, you have to spend to get there.

Always remember that your room is just as important as your speakers.

YMMV.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012

----------

WHAT THE CRAP ! !! !!

Forum is being serviced :)

FOR YOUR BUDGET, I would start with this:

Yamaha NS-10M's with a good amp like a Hafler P-1500

That's your $600 right there.

Then get yourself a good sub.

Then, when you can afford it, get a decent pair of Midfields, or larger pair of Nearfields.

I HATE mixing 'without' NS10M's. They are a staple for a dang good reason, and your mixes will be better for them. Granted, it is very nice to have a second pair, always, to A/B your stuff on... something higher end like Adam, Dynaudio, Genelic, Focal, etc.... Or even anything decent, for A/B.... I even like to run a pair of home 3 ways, with in line EQ's, and I EQ them to a mix reference, and switch to them for referencing mixes. Nice handy little thing to do.

For what it's worth... I had a pair of Rokit 5's on a mobile rig, just to be able to monitor for recording, and couldn't even stand them for that. In my opinion, they are garbage, as are anything in their category .... again, in my opinion.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I have a pair of JBL4326 monitors. They are spectacular and worth every penny, but they are not cheap. If I had a bigger room for them i'd get the matching sub.. that would be something else.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Adam A3X. The KRKs are not studio monitors by any reach of the imagination, they're glorified multimedia speakers.

If you really can't stretch to the A3X ($650 - very cheap for how good they sound), then I recommend the Samson Rubicon R6A.

Make sure you get the speakers positioned correctly, maybe on a small pair of desktop stands?

I always recommend Mackies.

Personally, i've never really been a fan of KRK's... they sound a bit to 'hifi' for mixing on...

I love my tannoy Active reveals.

Check out Dynaudio, Genelec, adam, Acoustic energy.

but advise really is find a shop that sells monitors and try them out, take along CDs you like and know really well, and listen to them on as many different speakers as possible and pick the ones you like.

Yield away from the KRKs. They are extremely colored. I would recommend what the others quoted above have recommended.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
I second Killyp's post. Here are some actual studio monitors:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/Product.aspx?PId=280&MId=5

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV40.html

That is an usual way to describe consumer speakers. Studio monitors aim for flat frequency response and uncolored sound.

I use the JBL 4382P, my mixes have improved a lot but need to isolate the bass from my desk, thats the only thing not translating 100% atm. So have some mopads on the way. Even without them still a huge improvement (Though I'm coming from headphones) KRK rokits are way too coloured imo

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
With rare exceptions, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Most good active studio monitors are flat. If you want altered freq response as you described, you need to go a different rout...like an amp/equalizer/passive speakers. Go to a place like Guitar Center or Sam Ash if there's one near you and try them out.

JCstudios

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
The z2300 Logitech 2.1 Pc sound system was top of the range at its time.

I too find the bass to be overpowered for mixing. With your price range I would go for some krk rp8 G2. They might not be the best monitors but sure they are great what their price.

If you're using the monitors to DJ/Mixing. Those are great.

Monitors are subjective , each individual has their own opinion. Best is to go and listen to some with you're preferred music.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.