Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hey guys looking around for a stylus. I'm worried about spending the money to get one due to the fact of thinking that it will look terrible trying to write/ take notes with it. It is a good tool to take notes with or not? I like fine pen type writing not big girly kid writing lol, that's what it seems like I would get with a stylus. Anyways any recommendations & opinions are welcomed, thanks!

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
I've used both a Targus and a Logix stylus and they both work great. I've also heard great things about the Pogo styli as well. I take notes like this for my university economics and math classes and its great.

Because the screens on the iPad is capacitive touch, the fine point styli that we're used to seeing from the old Palm Pilots or touchscreen laptops wont work, they need a little bit more surface area to complete the current and respond to the touch. Even though the point is large, lots of the writing apps still write in fine point underneath where you are touching (at the center of the tip of the stylus) and works great. I have used several note taking apps and by far, 'Notes Plus' blows every other one out of the water, due to its accuracy and ability to take larger (more comfortable) writing on the screen and condense it into standard size lines, as well as great text integration as well. It also allows you to adjust where the actual point the lines are drawn based on where you are touching (i.e. a couple pixels up or down from where you are actually touching on the screen so you can see what you are doing). Best $6 app you can buy for note taking. Check it out on the App Store.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
Acase makes good stylus pens that are affordable. If you're looking for something that is useful and won't break your wallet then that's what I'd recommend. The second generation one is longer and thinner too which from what I gather from your post might be something you're looking for.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I've used Targus, Boxwave and Acase.

Acase was definitely the worst. Even a buddy who nothing about the differences between styli noticed right away.

My personal favorite is the Targus, often on sale at Best Buy.

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
I have a Boxwave currently, and while it's okay'ish it's still too short and light for me. Just ordered the Wacom Bamboo, hope that will suit my needs better. I'm sketching, not taking notes.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I ordered a kensington virtuoso stylus, should be receiving it on tuesday.
Had good reviews and ratings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.